Managing lami in spring and summer month.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Its only feb... However spring grass is coming through... Wondering how you all handle/manage your lami prone equines in the spring and summer months. The boy doesn't really do stabling in the summer unless others are in and sadly on this currently yard they all go out 247!!!

This was one of my worries about giving up the field....how to manage Jack back on livery? He's never had lami but is at greater risk with his PPID. He doesn't come in on his own either so I was burying my head in the sand a little about what to do, tbh. However, I had a stroke of luck - the day I put a deposit on Gracie, the people in the stable next door to Jack gave notice - and then moved a couple of days later, so she is now beside him. As a greedy cob, it won't do her any harm at all to come off the spring grass to keep Jack company. So they will be coming in sitting the day and going out at night for a few weeks until the sprung flush passes.

Reactions: lauren123
I have a track in my boring rectangular 3.5 acre field for the summer. It's about 12 foot wide and goes all the way around the outside. It kept Ziggy slim all last year.

Over winter they've been eating their way up the middle section.

My 2 are on the track normally, its a total of about 1 acre of grass around my field, I have to put jess on it slowly as its been rested since the beginning of September but once on that does them fine.

I am bring Ben in all day at the moment, and when he is back to full fitness I will be riding him twice a day when possible as well. He has never had laminitis but I had a real scare a few weeks ago when he went lame on both front feet (turned out one foot was bruised and the other foot had an abscess). He is at his best ever weight at the moment and I want to keep it that way.

Come the spring/summer months I keep mine on a track that goes the whole way around 5 acres. I also bring them in off it for a while during the day and i put a soaked hay net in the stables for them.

He's on very poor grazing, so poor that he comes in each day to have a slice of hay that's been soaked overnight. He's also ridden most days which makes a difference with him, if he can't be then it starts a downward spiral where he becomes less sound so can do less so becomes less sound . . . I also keep him on a short shoeing cycle because if his foot balance is slightly out it has a big effect on his soundness.

This is a welsh cob that's a chronic laminitic (IR) who a few years ago had nearly rotated through his sole.

My welsh pony is in at night with steamed hay and out during the day with a grazing muzzle. It's the only way I can keep him free of this horrid disease. He has a couple of months of freedom (Jan/Feb) living out 24/7 with no muzzle but as soon as the grass starts to grow he has to go back to this regime.
As he got older his attacks got worse ( and he wasn't fat) so I had to move from restricted grazing 24/7 to the in at night and muzzle. He's been tested for PPID twice
But so far negative. He does look well for 26 but I'm sure the ageing has made the laminitis worse. My guess is his digestion/hormones are working less efficiently and that has a negative impact on the fact that he's always been prone to laminitis. He had one attack as a 4 year old (before I got him) I kept him free of lami for the next 15 or so years (with restricted grazing) and then he had a couple of bad bouts so I had to change my regime completely he's been clear this past two years .....fingers crossed but it's hard work and heart wrenching.

I'm well aware of that but he's free of lami now so steamed helps to keep his weight on as he loses weight in the summer. During his attacks he was fed soaked .

@greenb steamed hay only takes out the dust, it wont take out the sugars and calories. It needs to be soaked to reduce the sugars and calories. ;)

It will reduce the sugars by a bit, but nothing like as much as thoroughly soaking & draining. Steaming also increases digestibility, not ideal if you're trying to manage weight.

Like I said I need to keep his weight on not off hence the steamed hay as opposed to soaked. Some lamanitics are thin (like him).

Greenb if he's laminitic & thin I would be wondering if there are metabolic issues even though he's tested negative for PPID - sometimes the test shows a false negative - & if he's showing even low levels for another symptom I'd be asking the vet about a prascend trial to see if that helps with the laminitis & the weight.

I agree he must have metabolic issues that's why I got him tested again but still negative and not showing any other signs of PPID other than the lami.
His lami is under control, he's not had an attack for two years. He's currently fit and well and at more or less the right weight (at the thin end hence the steamed hay) but I watch him like a hawk to ensure he stays well. At this point he doesn't need drugs but I'm not ruling them out at some point in the future. No one can believe his age so that is testament to something.

newrider.com