Mane Problems-help!

kgj66

Jul 19, 2004
N. Ireland
Visit site
I got my horse in September and over last winter he wore a rug with a neck piece. He ended up with his mane basically falling out and becoming very thing and short for about 10inches from the withers up.

I have only just got his mane back in good condition by rubbing babyoil into the base of his mane every so often.

However now he has been clipped again and has his rug on,the same thing is happening.

Is there any tips you could give me to keep his mane in good condition? At the minute i am brushing it and scratching his neck to kind of keep the circulation going if you know what i mean and also putting babyoil on it.

Any tips would be welcomed, thanks.

PS i am not in a position to change his rug, it is not to small, i.e. doesnt press down tightly on his neck so i dont really know why the mane is thin.

Thanks

this has happened to lots of horses on our yard. I wonder if something like a snuggy hood under the rug would help. this would sit close to his mane, and not move around as much next to it, which would mean less rubbing. we found it has happened more with those flexi neck rugs. what type is yours?

He doesnt have a neck rug this year, it is an indoor Masta rug, it extends very slightly up his neck but not much.

I was wondering if there was anything i could do without buying any rug type things-i havent got much money at the minute!

it is not the pressure that makes them loose the hair, it is the heat opening pores to far. unless you put him in a normal rug then this will continue to happen so give him time without a rug on for a couple of hours a day at least, and dont comb his mane if he is warm. oh and instead of baby oil which makes a mess try useing coconut oil.

My TB, suffered very bad rubbing on his high withers, due to a neck rug [his thin skinned] but I invested in a de-boiz body vest, it's been wonderful saved his skin
keeps his coat nice and acts as an extra insulation. also come's with a full neck and is lycra in a range of colours

newrider.com