Mane pulling

Norton

May 21, 2009
This seems like he sort of site where I can hear both sides to a good healthy ((ahem)) debate ;)
So I am currently trying to decide wether to pull P's mane or not. Now I know this is a fairly 'normal' thing to do. I have pulled many a horses mane before. However when I pulled my other horses mane a few years ago she hated it. Ever since she has been funny even having her mane combed. So it must have hurt like hell for her.
I know all the rules, little at a time, do whilst hot etc.
So... do you pull? Do you think it hurts?
Keep it nice peeps :D

do it when they are warm, and a little bit at a time.

definitely pull, chopping at it with scissors looks crap :eek:

hurt, meh, i also strip off her cat hairs (just grab a few and yank them out). she doesnt complain *too* loudly :p

I Solocomb :) Salsa HATES having his mane pulled, and I've tried all sorts of tips to make it as comfortable for him as possible, but it's just a no-go. I normally solocomb over a couple of days because it find gripping the comb very difficult and as I get more and more tired it ends up all over the place, so I normally do it in three or four sections and concentrate on just doing a little bit at a time. I just think it makes the mane more manageable, looks neater, keeps his neck cool in hot weather (although I leave his forelock as a fly fringe), and makes it easier to plait if we go showing (once in a blue moon!).

I have pulled mane's in the past (for other people) but i only use a solo comb on mine cos i would really hate for someone to yank my hair out, think i'd kick them in the head lol. x

Did Taras mane the other day and she almost dropped off! I did it after I'd ridden.

Think she's either got a pain fetish or a high tolerance to it!

Shelley almost fell asleep when I pulled hers and this was the first time she had ever been pulled!

I prefer to pull, did Nicks mane last week.

But with the babies (ok so Conway just turned 2 and Cheesecake is 2 in August :rolleyes:) they are part appy and have a very thin mane so I do tend to cut theirs and chop into it to give it a more natural look. They're plaited for showing anyway so nobody is the wiser.

I like my solocomb too although I have nvested in a thinning rake thingy as it is much quicker to thin with and then I use the solocomb to shorten what's left.

If it hurts your horse then your either pulling too many hairs, pulling too much in one sessions, not pulling when the horse is hot enough OR have a very thin skinned horse!

I am constantly pulling nelsons mane at the minute (had let it grow over winter) and I just pull about 20 hairs out from across the mane each time. Over a few days his mane will be noticeably pulled and in a couple of weeks it will *hopefully* look just how I like it.

I am just debating whether to pull his tail or let it grow... *off to ponder*

If it hurts your horse then your either pulling too many hairs, pulling too much in one sessions, not pulling when the horse is hot enough OR have a very thin skinned horse!

I am constantly pulling nelsons mane at the minute (had let it grow over winter) and I just pull about 20 hairs out from across the mane each time. Over a few days his mane will be noticeably pulled and in a couple of weeks it will *hopefully* look just how I like it.

Agree with this :D take it slow and most are ok, it tends to be a problem if they have had rough people or a bad experience in the past. Saying that, if you DO happen to have a very thin skinned horse who really isn't happy, i'd solocomb. I usually pull manes for horses that need plaiting, and i'm not overly convinced by solocombs effectiveness if i'm going to be plaiting the mane.
I don't have to anymore, i don't work with horses any more and i've got a native!! :D

we pull for showing, one mare just loves it, stands theri and goes to sleep, and wiggles the top of her lip!! but b the section c hates it! he squishes u sagainst the wall, and sometimes *runs and hides* has to be twiched on his nosse your have it held ( hehas sweet- itch and apparently lots of horses with sweet itch hate is too ???

newrider.com