Mane Training!

Lauran

Feb 9, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi Everyone

What are your thoughts on the best way to train a mane to lie on the correct side? Banding? Those "sleazy" hoods? Something else? Polly's mane is lovely but it's all over the place after a winter of full neck rugs. Any help greatly appreciated!

Lauran and Polly xx

Your lucky to still have a mane after a winter of full neck rugs, all mine have half a mane at the moment :-( With mine i thin them, dampen and plait over to the correct side and leave for a few days, only if im going showing though otherwise i let them do whatever they want, tends to be just the top third of mane that flicks over on my welshies:)

A spray called 'quic braid' worked wonders on my mares mane. Also making it damp and combing it the way you want it to go. Some manes just wanna do their own thing!!

I usually plait over to the correct side on a Monday night, leave in until Friday and then have lovely wavey sitting to the correct side all weekend. After a few weeks of that it seems to settle down and sit nicely for a few weeks without much effort.

I've tried banding but found that the hair starts to break off at the roots which just adds to the general untidyness!! If you plait (Bob Marley Style) but keep it fairly loose at the roots it does not do any damage.

I've heard that the snuggy hoods are tricky like you put the mane to the right then it's very hard to get it all the way you want it under the hood.

I'm gonna plait Beau's now it's long enough like Rarah said.:)

newrider.com