Mardy mare

Loveslayla

Dec 30, 2019
I help with my fiends horses... she has a 18yr old gelding and a 5yr old mare.
we moved them to a new yard in October and they have been stabled there ( previously lived out) my friends has only owned them since June.
the mare is becoming a bit difficult at being taken from the stable to the field and back... she initially started with my friend and would barge and then start rearing as we were taking her out. She seemed to respond better to me so for the last month I have been leading her out but in the last week she has started getting bolshy with me. She is dragging me down the muddy track to the field.. once we get to the field I release her from her head collar... the other day she turned around and bucked missing me only just. Also had issues bringing her in.. she can be caught easily but will get halfway a cross the field and then stop.. plants her feet and refuses to move... she is then getting revved up and head strong and rearing bucking so I am having to let go of the lead rope and bolting away... she did it today so I calmly walked back over to her.. she came to me and tried to lead her out but she again started up and although I tried to hold the lead rope and control her in fear for my safety I let her go... we gave her 20mibs calm down before trying again and this time she quite placidly was led back to the yard...
any tips on how to manage this mare... as I fear she now knows she can get away with this behaviour as she is strong and will continue. I think she doesn’t like the muddy track to the field as on the lane she is as good as gold and walks on a loose lead rein ( the muddy track is pretty bad thick 8-10inches mud in places)

Since some of this behaviour sounds potentially dangerous I think the best advice I can give you is to get professional help out. I've seen Kelly Marks work with some friends' horses and would recommend her, or if she isn't in your area it may be that her recommended Associates are just as good. Or ask around locally and see if anyone is recommended. Even with professional help to get you all working as a team - and your friend does need to learn to handle her own horse - a lot of very consistent handling is going to be needed.

Agree with carthorse - I've been dragged and almost trampled by someone else's horse. She uses a chifney (sp?) now, because she had problems, and it seems to work, but I still avoid catching or leading him, if I can. I Could'nt be doing with it myself, I'd hate not being able to lead my horse, would drive me nuts.

PS the mare could be starting her naughty 'tween' spell - my old boy was a sweetheart up to age 5/6, then turned into a rebellious teenager until he was about 8. I'd never know what would be the next thing he'd argue about! Again though, carthorse is right, that sort of thing is cured by lots of consistent handling.

I would be turning out and catching in a simple bridle over the headcollar. No need for noseband - just simple bit and browband type. You need to have a bit more control

agree with Paula. Not that i'm a professional or anything (working as a delicious recipes chef, in fact), is just the idea that you do need to have a bit more control. in the end, situations are all different but you need how to handle them properly... again, by having control.

Last edited:
newrider.com