Mare in season!

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
My dog is on heat and now Roxy has joined her, which explains the silly behaviour out hacking - I should have guessed. She's ridiculous in season - tricky to lead, on her toes, hyper-sensitive, spooky and snorty, funny about me grooming spots she doesn't normally mind. She nearly squashed me in the stable this morning because I accidentally touched the bald bit where she had her steroid injection! And she was jumping about like a loon because my saddle cover rustled, and her rug rustled, and normally she wouldn't even bat an eyelid. Trying her new bit, which is milder than the old one, you'd have thought I was trying to strangle her! SUCH a drama queen!
The RDA mare I lead was also a horror, kicking out and biting and prancing about. She is always a little b*gger anyway but even worse than usual.
Hormones eh! Is anyone else experiencing mass seasonal mood swings or is it just me?

I am very lucky with Storm as although she pulls faces at other horses she is lovely to handle on the ground. She has a blip now and again but her stable manners are great. Ridden wise she can have her moments but I am not sure if it's hormonal or just time of year making her sharper. Be careful! lol you don't want a nip or kick!!! How do you react? Do you tick her off or just ignore?

Also wanted to add - she's in season quite a lot, I don't see that much of a break for winter. On the whole she could be classed as mareish but as I said before it isn't directed at me - just Chloe! lol it was such fun on a yard (not) she would chew bricks and pull faces at the whole yard!!!!
I find her pretty spooky most of the time - not just when in season.

I am very lucky with Storm as although she pulls faces at other horses she is lovely to handle on the ground. She has a blip now and again but her stable manners are great. Ridden wise she can have her moments but I am not sure if it's hormonal or just time of year making her sharper. Be careful! lol you don't want a nip or kick!!! How do you react? Do you tick her off or just ignore?
Roxy I just ignore. She isn't bad really - she's not moody with me and never bites or kicks - she's just so over-reactive that I need to be a bit more careful round her.
RDA pony - I told the poor thing off endlessly today and she got a few smacks too, but she WAS trying to take chunks out of me! She was a little devil!

Reactions: Trewsers
Also wanted to add - she's in season quite a lot, I don't see that much of a break for winter. On the whole she could be classed as mareish but as I said before it isn't directed at me - just Chloe! lol it was such fun on a yard (not) she would chew bricks and pull faces at the whole yard!!!!
I find her pretty spooky most of the time - not just when in season.
Roxy is really different when she is in season. Maybe I should try something like Regumate or whatever it's called? It doesn't seem much fun for her.

Roxy I just ignore. She isn't bad really - she's not moody with me and never bites or kicks - she's just so over-reactive that I need to be a bit more careful round her.
RDA pony - I told the poor thing off endlessly today and she got a few smacks too, but she WAS trying to take chunks out of me! She was a little devil!

Its awful when they try and take a chunk! Storm used to go for my arm when she was waiting outside the school. It was just her way of hurrying me along! She did get told off for it - little minx!!

Roxy is really different when she is in season. Maybe I should try something like Regumate or whatever it's called? It doesn't seem much fun for her.

There's another one - Oestress ? I think. Trouble is I shouldn't imagine they're cheap and if they don't work its a bit annoying. I went through a stage of spending money on calmers.

There's another one - Oestress ? I think. Trouble is I shouldn't imagine they're cheap and if they don't work its a bit annoying. I went through a stage of spending money on calmers.
I've got that Oestress and can't really see the difference from the ingredients between it and a normal calmer.

From memory oestress has chaste berry in it which helps settle down hormone fluctuations, it worked for jess a bit to start with then seemed to wear off

I have becca on oestress. 1 scoop in her night feed. £74 for 2.5kg. I bought my last one back in May . She's still a bit of a madam , quite often really !! She's in season more than she's not. Pulls faces and /or squeals at anything that comes near her. I've just started her with raspberry leaf also, hopefully that will ease her tenderness . We'll see only time will tell.
I didn't get up Fri sat sun with work and Monday when I turned up she went to nip me on the arm. She didn't exactly bite me but made like she was going to. You can hear her teeth bite together. She was just saying "where the hell have you been " !!
Moody mare's, IMO you just have to get to know your horse and work with what you have. [emoji5]

Yeah I've had a few rears from my madam this time round. She only goes up a little way so it's not scary but I didn't immediately twig it was hormones as I've had so much going on with buying her a new saddle, trying to find her a new bit and her hock injections. Today she was so silly for no reason and hadn't eaten all her hay (very unlike her ) and was staring longingly at the wall that separates her stable from the colt's that it suddenly hit me and I was like 'aaaaaah! That's it! Bl***dy hormones!'

Reactions: HorseHelen
newrider.com