Mare magic anyone or similar?

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
Hi, Our fells a lovely little mare but quite hormonal, I was discussing her with our ri and she said as she's my daughters pony she would maybes try a supplement. I just would like to know if anyone else has a grumpy mare when in season and if any supplements have worked for you? x

I would like to hear peoples opinions on these as well - I have tried Hilton herbs calm and collected for over 2 months and even though it has valerian in which of course cant be used in competition - it hasn't altered bettys nervous disposition out hacking - she has a tendency to jump at any noise in the hedgerow yet she is perfect in heavy traffic and with any frightening objects - im thinking of trying a hormonal type supplement but as I haven't had betty for too long - im not sure if she does this all the year round or just when she is in season- they did tell me that this was all she did and it doesn't bother me really - it just annoys me a bit

Reactions: tikkitti
Jess is hormonal 11.5 months of the year, even 14 days of regumate from the vet didnt bring her out of season (3 days works for most) I've tried most supplements at some point, some helped, some didnt at all but the best thing I have found for her is raspberry leaf. Its often used before foaling to ensure an easy birth as it relaxes everything whilst levelling ouf hormones, for my crazy hormonal mare this helps her to be more comfortable through her season which in turn means shes far more relaxed and with out the stupid hormone spikes shes much easier to manage. Its also cheap at £12 for a 2-3 month supply but the trick is to get them on it early in the year before they start their seasons so the soreness never begins.
ETA I tried this because it is the main ingredient in mare magic but cheaper to buy straight.

Reactions: tikkitti and marj
Well I will be buying raspberry leaf:) fingers crossed it helps her although obviously it should of been started earlier in the year. Was talking to our ri, and we agreed it was her only negative, well that and her love of food:D:D Anythings worth a try though, shame she wasnt a gelding, its a good job we love her:).x

Good luck is my first thought. The vet isn't interested in mine is my second.
She actually goes lame and is sort of unrideable for some other worst days.
She has improved on her own though as she has grown up a bit, I don't know if it's something they grow out of, or its less bothersome as they mature.

Did did Wendels herbal supplement, no change.

Have you a nearby stallion or colt because that makes it worse.

Hi, No colts or stallions nearby thankfully. When in season she's a total tart though and harasses our geldings, she also seems to go a little footsy, infact my farriers coming this morning and she's having front shoes fitted to see if it improves, she's a fell and in winter doesn't seem to have this footsy problem, whether thats cause the grounds softer or she isnt as sensitive/hormonal Im unsure. She was 7 in April this year and apart from the marishness is a fantastic pony, if she were mine although annoying it wouldn't be such a issue but as she's my daughters Id love her to be more balanced. She strongly dislikes other mares at times and yet other times is fine with them, does all the squealing palavor and like my ri said a fantastic pony apart from this issue.x

Last edited:
newrider.com