Mares and Geldings

NicP

Cody's mum
Feb 22, 2007
Cambridgeshire
I am looking to buy my first horse soon and the place I will keep it already has one gelding pony.

I know people say it easier to only put all mares or all geldings in a field but wondered how much of a problem it would really be to have a mixture in a field.

I have a mare and a gelding who are kept together and they are fine, you do have to be a bit careful si the gelding is riggy and the mare gets hormonal when she is in season but generally it is fine.

We have three geldings and a mare - all is civilised and calm. Mine arrived in January to join the 3 already in the field, and was accepted and grazing within 6 feet of the mare within 12 hours. I would say, though, that it depends on the horse - laid back horses with good manners tend to be more readily accepted - just like with humans I guess ;)

I don't know. Having experienced both, I would really prefer to keep them seperated. Seems to be far less scrapes and bumps

BUT, I have seen mares and geldings live harmoniously, so it's not like it's not possible.

Theres 2 geldings 2 mares and a gelding shetland in Js field. J is the boss when it comes to food, the other gelding the boss when it comes to the ladies (J is rather uninterested!)

It works for us and it worked in the other feild until they started harping on about how it should be ponies in one, horses in the other. This is quite silly IMO, mares and geldings makes more sense!

i have a gelding and a mare, yes they have their disagreements but don't they all. If both horses (whether mixed or not) are dominant then there wil be problems but otherwise they should form a hierachy and be fine. I know of a very dominant gelding who would happily put another horse through a fence but what would happen if a more dominant horse got hold of him? providing the other horse submits pretty quick he's generally fine but he likes to show his dominance. if you get a mare it could be interesting the first time she comes in season but other than that the other gelding will just get used to her.

Morocha lives in a mixed herd of 3 mares and 5 geldings. There's the odd little dust up, but really they get on fine. It probably helps that all of them are at least teens, if not in their twenties. They seem to read the body language and sort themselves out without fighting.

There was a rather aggressive mare, who has fortunately moved elsewhere. But even then, there weren't fights per se, just more obvious tension all around.

Saff is in a mixed herd of 20+ horses and is very happy. There are very few incidents and they all seem to get on well enough together as a herd. I think that having 45 acres to play on helps mind you!

Saff is probably better behaved with geldings than she is with mares. She sort of ignores them as 'smelly boys' whereas she's more dominant with the mares and will do the whole 'ears back, camel face' thing with them. If they don't listen she stands on her back legs, squeals and waves her front feet at them! She does move the geldings off but not in the same way.

I like a mixed herd and would always prefer a mixed herd. I would want sufficient space for any herd to play in though which I think is the main factor.

Agree with Bay Mare, I think having enough space and grazing is more of a factor than sex. I had a mare in with 3 geldings quite happily,One of the geldings appointed himself her boyfriend, others respected that, mind you he was a handsome brute !
Until coming to my recent yard, we always had mixed herds, any problems were only due to heat, flies and dried out grass, understandable and sorted.

My mare has been a problem with geldings in her field she was fine in a mixed group. Until three more geldings arrived now she's all moody and dosen't catch So maybe u should try for a few days and see

ive got a mare and a gelding who both just love being together all the time, they dont fight and even when she is in season she goes to the others in the nect field and peter goes off and eats,
they used to be in amix herd and i didnt notice any more bickering than there is in seperate herds

newrider.com