Mares or geldings- what is your preference?

I don't really care, but must say, out of them I really like working with stallions. They are so funny. Very different to mares or geldings.

But a good gelding a good mare or a good stallion is a joy regardless.

I don't have a preference, all of mine have been hormonal so having a gelding I hoped would solve that. But he was riggy and just brought everyone's mare into season!!

They are all individual and I know people say a mares bond is different from a gelding, but as I see them as individual I would say each bond would be different.

I was just wondering as I mentioned to someone last week that when I had been looking for Magic I had been looking for a mare rather than a gelding as I'd never really had any dealings with geldings before and she looked at me like I was mad and was saying that mares are really temperamental and grumpy and when they are in season they are downright nasty and she would never have a mare and that I must have been extremely lucky that the horse I used to loan and the horse I used to ride as a teenager hadn't been like that which got me wondering.

Magic lives with a load of stallions and colts now and I must say they are nothing like I imagined they would be from things I have heard about stallions, they get on really with each other, don't fight, very well mannered etc.

Not one of our mares acts any differently when she's in season to when she's not. The only way you can tell it the smell.

I can honestly say I have never had any bother with any of ours. No mardy mares here, no baggages when they are squirty.
All our stallions live with each other or colts or geldings, obviously there will be personality clashes and sometimes you have to keep two stallions away from each other, but, in general they all get on.....so long as they cannot see or smell any mares! That would be a disaster,

I much prefer mares, we've got 3, we've got 2 geldings as well, but mares all the way for us now. I just find them a lot nicer to deal with.

I have 1 of each and love them for different reasons ... if I was looking for a 3rd I wouldn't have a preference

june is a firery little pony, very loyal, intelligent, confident and bold

womble is riggy as hell, he is opinionated, bit of a wuss but much easier to deal with on the ground and he does try his little heart out and tries to please ... basically the polar opposite to june

Its the same thing really as people having a preference with colour, discounting greys, chestnuts etc.

Though the last chestnut mare I owned did irreparable damage to my back ... but im putting that down to my bad luck :unsure:

I part loaned a mare for nearly 5 years and we just clicked lol. She was great not scared very gentle and knew when upset etc. Luckly for me sheon the same yard as sox so I still see her. Sox is a bit of a wuss at the moment. Is the stressy type though get on with other horses very well. He does try his hardest for me .

My riding history decided for me. The regular lesson horse was a mare and she became my share. My fav. hack for nine years is also a mare. I love their intelligence, their quickness to learn, their having opinions, the way they move.

Like Wally, I never noticed any hormonal temperament with my two.

Twice over the years (I have ridden almost 100 horses by now) I did really like a gelding - If those geldings had been around for me to have a long relationship, life might have been different. But when I set out to buy, I looked only for mares.
Even tho my RI prefers geldings. She has always said that geldings are more consistent and therefore more reliable for competing at one's best. To be honest I think there is more physical power there too in a gelding.

Mares for me. I always choose female pets, I guess on some level I feel more empathy towards them!

I have one of each and I'm with Danni on this one, I don't have a preference. They both have different personalities that's all and I've had other mare and geldings in the past and would say each is individual regardless of their sex. I've had a cuddly mare and a not so cuddly mare and my boys could have a moody day as much as any mare in season. Some mares suffer a little, some you can't even tell - just like people! And believe me I know some hormonal blokes come to think of it :giggle:

However, I do think the whole ask a mare, tell a gelding saying is quite true in my experience but then again I still 'learn' what works with each of my horses and treat them according to their personalities if that makes sense.

I think its wrong to generalise. After having both they are different because of their gender but also personality. Storm is a real marish mare - but gentle and kind with me, we have discussions, but I learnt long ago to deal differently with her. Joe was different again, such a prima donna at times, but so strong and brave also. You didn't instruct Joe, you asked nicely otherwise he would give you the cold shoulder and generally make you pay!

Clearly the few who have them adore their stallions - but sadly in the UK riding school and livery scenario, very few of us have the priviledge of riding a stallion, let alone owning one. Even when I went for dressage lessons, there wasnt a stallion on offer.

Personally I don't think it much differs between mares and geldings.

Their character is their character and you can get stroppy geldings and easy mares or vice versa.

Well, if I was looking for another horse or pony, I'd probably look for a filly.

But since I have Ziggy, and he is perfect, I don't need to.

Clearly the few who have them adore their stallions - but sadly in the UK riding school and livery scenario, very few of us have the priviledge of riding a stallion, let alone owning one. Even when I went for dressage lessons, there wasnt a stallion on offer.

We have two on our yard and I don't handle or go in the field with them, they are not mine. When one stallion got moved today I was asked to put my cob in a back stable so he could pass without, "helping himself"
I am not even sure if I have ridden a stallion to be honest.

newrider.com