Mares or Geldings?

Spotty_Pony

Save the animals!
Sep 25, 2006
Near Australia
www.youtube.com
What do you prefer? I would definatelyly go with geldings! i hate tose moody mares! hehe!

I have heard that Mares are more likely to have a better connection with their rider than geldings would... is this true? Probably not, aye! Lol

I always planned to buy a gelding but ended up with a mare and I wouldn't swap her for the world. She's got plenty of attitude but, when the chips are down, that's what you need - I reckon she'd walk through fire for the right person.

As my signature says, there's nothing quite like the love of a mare.

Geldings. I've met very few mares I've genuinely liked. That's not to say I like all geldings, or indeed would rule out mares completely. I'm just more likely to click with a gelding that has an abundance of character than I am with a "nice" horse.

I've got two mares, two geldings and a stallion. I love them all and they all have their own quirks and likes and dislikes. Can't say that one is better than the next. The only big difference I find is that the geldings are a bit quicker to try new things without a fuss.

I have two geldings, one stallion and a mare. I absolutely adore my mare. I would agree that you certainly have to 'ask' a mare but I honestly think that when you click with a mare they are more loyal than a gelding.

I don't think mare's suit everyone. I do believe you need to be more patient and quiet around mares. I wouldn't swap her for anything and I would always consider mares in the future over geldings.

I have never had a problem with mares I've ridden but my favourites at riding schools always turned out to be geldings.

This then lead me to get a gelding as my first horse :D
well c'mon they're the best, aren't they?

I dont have a preference and I haven't really winessed the moody mare syndrome either. I have 3 mares at the moment, had a gelding previous to my last mare. I notice more differences with breedings than sex.

Well, i would probably choose a gelding.
One riding school horse has put me off mares!!She is such a moody a$s its unbeliveable!
Having said that, there is one mare who is such a sweetheart. I would have her in a second!
*DREAMS*

Last edited:
After Lilys rodeo display this weekend (I lasted all of ten seconds before she bronced me off) I think my next horse 'may' be a gelding :eek:

i have a mare and a gelding. I love them both. I don't mind what i have, some geldings are moody, some mares are sweethearts. Mares do tend to be more sensitive but that can be useful. My instructor is getting a stallion so it will be interesting to compare him with mares and geldings :)

Mares. My first horse is a gelding and he will always be special to me but I do like my sassy mares. My gelding likes them, too. Since he prefers to have the amres to himself we have only been buying mares.

Geldings, for me. They are alot less hormonal then MOST mares. That isn't to say I haven't encountered grumpy geldings, or very relaxed and unmoody mares. But generally, geldings tend to be a bit more solid then mares when it comes to hormones and such.

But i have fallen in love with mares, who were quite mariesh. But right now, my heart belongs to a gelding.

I used to think geldings but since owning my very own moody mare I've changed my mind! Yes, she is in effect an entire beast (I know she isn't quite a stallion!) but the unpredictability doesn't bother me, as when she is working "with" me I find that when she tries she really does try hard and the reward is so satisfiying, knowing that she understands me and I her - also there's nothing quite like being greeted first thing by a "lick nip" - its just her way of saying"morning mum, I'm ok, now bozz off"!!!! hehehehe....love her to bits.....

I used to think of myself as a real gelding person as Tinker, my connemara, is a gelding (I've had him for 14 years...) And lo and behold, have been the owner of a moody mare for three months.... She is a hell of a lot fussier, very sensitive, and can be a real madam -squeals when you make her do something she doesn't like:eek: - but I love her to bits.

Mares definitely!

After 20 years of horse owning, I have had my first mare for nearly 2 years now and I find her so much more polite than any of the geldings I have owned. She is just more lady like.
Of course, she isn't a 'moody' mare, even when in season so that helps. And she is definitely a 'girly' mare. She is very polite, never ever bargy or stubborn and is a dream to handle. I have also bonded far better with her than I have with any other horse.

Of course I don't want to generalise that all geldings are bargy, stubborn etc...its just my experience with the ones me and my family have owned over the years and thats probably about 15 odd geldings.

Saying that, maybe I have just struck lucky with her, cos I know of alot of mares that are aggressive and moody!

S

Its not right really to draw comparisons between mares and gelding (although its inevitable of course because that is the choice for most of us). They are entire after all and more comparible to stallions. I find Geldings a bit 'dull' since because they are castrated, they remain forever juvenile in many respects (don't shoot me). I really like mares. They are full of opinions, most of which are quite reasonable when we listen to them. I can't comment on stallions as I have very little experience of them. I wouldn't rule out a gelding, but I wouldn't go looking to buy one.

I also think the 'moody mare' thing is exagerated. Gelding are naughty and people say 'oh, he's naughty', a mare is naughty and immediately people say 'well, its a mare, what do you expect, moody mares, I wouldn't have one' etc, etc. When I think of the handful of naughty or cheeky horses on my yard, only one is a mare and all of the 'bloody mares' comments are said about her. Not much comment is made at all about the naughty geldings! Give me a mare all the way :)

I. Not much comment is made at all about the naughty geldings! Give me a mare all the way :)

Well said!:D My poor mare gets the blame for far too much - its always "oooh, moody mare" what do you expect????! Our Joe is far naughtier at times - he likes to pick brushes up and chew and then throw them across the stable - but nobody calls him moody......:p

I really have no preference, I have mares, stallions and geldings.

Some of the geldings make you use naughty words, sometimes the mares do, the stallions are just sometimes like a rugby scrum, the younger ones anyway.

They are all so different, I have never had a mare who was really that different in season.

newrider.com