Mares vs geldings

I never even considered the implications of Joy's seasons before I bought her.

All I know is that I'd fallen in love and had to have her.

Having owned her for nearly 2 years and read all the stories on here I subsiquently started trying to work out when Joy's seasons were. She is the least marish mare and I dn't have any issues with her at all. She really doesn't have aclue what it's all about either :p

I personally don't really care if I have a mare or a gelding. I love 'em all :D

Well it just so happens that the two main horses in my life - one that I shared for over five years and Mimi - are both mares, but this is just by chance.

However, I have to say from working with horses over the last few years that I think mares are, on the whole, slightly better behaved. This is just my experience so don't shoot me down in flames, all you gelding owners :D

Well.................lol
At first if you said that to me i'd say geldings but I do know some really lovely mares :) geldings are probably more even tempered but i think mares are more sensitive which can be a good or a bay thing depending on your horse.

I ride a very grumpy oldish gelding who if you get on with he's a fantastic horse trying his very best for you and doing well but if you don't he just refuses to do anything.

Thinking about it I don't really have a preference it totally depends on the horse :)

mares definetly mares :D im always worried that if i had a gelding that if something went wrong you couldnt do much with him whereas with mares you can always breed..may sound a bi harsh but to me makes sense :p;)

that's my arguement against geldings too. I always said i'd never get a gelding & when i did it went wrong from the start. he ended up lame & being re-homed. now because of this, and because i just click better with mares, far more personality imho, i'm mares all the way :D

"Do you think if you suffer with PMT yourself that it would be a nightmare owning a mare??????????????????? "

Isn't EVERYTHING nightmare for women who suffer with PMT ?!?! At least for a number of days every month? LIFE just isn't really worth living when you suffer with PMT, is it!?

But unless you suffer with it more than a few days a month I suppose mares or geldings, it won't make much difference from the point of view of PMT. Avoid all horses and other sensitive creatures whilst suffering is my advice - it's not fair on them ;):D:p

"Do you think if you suffer with PMT yourself that it would be a nightmare owning a mare??????????????????? "

Isn't EVERYTHING nightmare for women who suffer with PMT ?!?! At least for a number of days every month? LIFE just isn't really worth living when you suffer with PMT, is it!?

But unless you suffer with it more than a few days a month I suppose mares or geldings, it won't make much difference from the point of view of PMT. Avoid all horses and other sensitive creatures whilst suffering is my advice - it's not fair on them ;):D:p

Yes PMT is a pain, Im a nightmare for about 3/4 days and it is only usually my husband who gets the brunt of it but I do lack in patience around that time.

I didnt know whether it would be a massive almighty clash with a mare ??? :)

I have only owned one horse, a gelding. I will admit, he talks back more than my God sons! However, he is very willing to do what I ask, and the older he gets the better our relationship gets. He is a "studdy" gelding, and is very full of himself. Much more so than any of the other geldings I've ridden and I think that's part of the reason I love him so much. He makes me laugh!

I have also ridden some fab mares, but I do find them to be a bit temperamental. I am currently working a 5 yr old mare and we've had to go at a snails pace because every 15 minutes she throws a little "Diva" fit and I have to work her thru it before we can move on,lol.

Hmmmm, I definitely a mare person. I've found that people tend to bond quicker with geldings, but will end up with a far stronger bond with a mare if they persevere and just put a bit of time into it. I honestly had a year where I didn't really get on with my mare and then another year or so where we were 'friends' but she wasn't overly keen.....and then suddenly we clicked! I honestly now have the best horse in the world :). She'll play with me in the menage, follows me round sometimes when I'm mucking out and I've even ridden her without a saddle or bridle with great success. She needs to be asked to do something, not told, but will always try her heart out when you explain properly. She's also, despite being a snorty arab, incredibly brave, and really puts her trust in me :). I absolutely love her to pieces.

I have always preferred mares. When working with horses they were just more fun and I have always searched for them not geldings.

I was over the moon when my unplanned foal was a filly I was over the moon. Seven years on she is still with us. Had she been a colt I do honestly believe we would have sold but then again he could have been the guy to change my mind.;)

got to say it mares myn isnt mareish and she does have her own mind is very loveable and gives you the feeling shes not to needy and pulls it off not matter where we go and me and her get along great i dont boss her around and its vis versa i just get along with her great shes a sweety

mmmm

i know its not what you asked, but even though sometimes it is best, and even kinder for the horse, I dont agree with gelding horses, it just doesnt seem right!

newrider.com