Margaret Thatcher has died

That is weird. We have been talking about her quite a lot at home recently.

Dosen't seem five minutes ago that she was in power, how time fly's.

I expect we will have lots of boring TV programmes now.

The UK first and only female PM. I admire her for that alone

Its funny, because of all the things I'll remember, her being female is way down the list.

I'm not a Thatcherite but there are things she achieved that our country really needed at the time, and there are things that I really really hate the legacy it has left.

I too am ambivalent about Mrs. or Baroness Thatcher.

All I remember from my youth is the power cuts the 3 day week, the shortages and the fact that Labour made the UK go cap in hand as we were bankrupt.

At the time the UK NEEDED Mrs' Thatcher and the kick in the Unions she gave the country......then she went a bit
bats! ;)

All I remember from my youth is the power cuts the 3 day week, the shortages and the fact that Labour made the UK go cap in hand as we were bankrupt.

At the time the UK NEEDED Mrs' Thatcher and the kick in the Unions she gave the country......then she went a bit
bats! ;)

You said it way better than I could!

bats! ;)

Couldn't agree more.

The unions killed our manufacturing and it is one of the reasons why so many people are out of work today.

Heck, she had a good innings mind, she was getting on a bit in years - I know she'd not been well lately. I remember her from my childhood - well, I remember my parents talking about her a lot! I rather admired her - whatever you say about her she did get things done.

Just seen, she's getting a ceremonial funeral with military honours, not a start funeral, so whoever started that has wasted their time!

My Uncle and Dad knew her well........She reduced them to two shuffling, naughty looking school boys! :D

My Dad always said she sent shudders down his spine.

I am not old enough to know what life were like when she was PM however I do know she is/was very unpopular where I grew up..being from the north west( born in Oldham -famous for the riots back in 99) the area itself used to be staunchly labour (sadly mostly BNP these days) so no surprise regarding the dislike for her.

I have no feelings for her personally..I won't miss her though. Glad to hear she isn't getting a state funeral though - IMO she doesn't deserve one since she isn't Mother Teresa or Flo Nightingale. I have to say i would probably sign the E-petition is she was going to have state funeral.

Just wondering if anyone has seen The Iron Lady? I watched it not too long ago. I think it's a pretty accurate portrayal of her life & Meryl Streep did a fantastic job as Maggie herself. I tried very hard to rid myself of opinions before I watched the film but did find myself still not liking her. Whether this is because its "ingrained" in me I don't really know. All I know is that I did try to look at her from another angle ( In similar fashion to The Queen film ,this did change my opinion of the royal family & felt I became more understanding of The Queens position when Diana died)

IMO she doesn't deserve one since she isn't Mother Teresa

I'd rather have Maggie Thatcher than Agnes Bojaxhiu any day! At least you knew where you were with Maggie.

bats! ;)

This is fair comment, however, because her personality was so abrasive, she left such an abiding dislike of the Conservatives that we had to suffer 15 years of Tony B-Liar & his bunch of crooks (who proceeded to screw up the economy completely) & I will never forgive her for that.

ETA my granddad was Denis Thatcher's bank manager for many years & he told me that "Denis was a thoroughly pleasant man but his wife was a f***ing nightmare" (this was the only time in my life I ever heard my granddad use the f-word)

Last edited:
I met her once for tea....... long story many years ago before she was PM when I was a young accountant and worked briefly with her son. She was scary but inspiring and so keen on people making the most of themselves in spite of humble origins/class/sex prejudices etc...... was so unlike most politicians of her era.

Equally I have seen the other side, having moved to a former mining area in the wake of the mine closures. Politics apart though we need her or her like urgently today!!

newrider.com