Mash

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Is there a mash that doesn't go to complete mush/slime that soaks in 1-3 minutes?
I like to have something on hand just in case for meds etc. but hate waiting 20 minutes for speedy beet to soak. Fast fibre/vetran vitality is great from my perspective but my mob definitely prefer something with a bit of texture to it and will often refuse to eat those 2.
ETA must be low starch, low sugar.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add - I had one that my local tack shop ordered in specially - think it was a Spillers. It smelled nice enough but none of ours would touch it! They tried it and then just ignored it. I think that was aimed at winter meals - marketed as ideal for good doers too (I think). Yours might like it, shame you can't buy smaller half size bags to try. Because it's such a waste when they don't gel with them.

Reactions: Jessey
Fast fibre only takes 60 seconds. Ours love that. Could you sprinkle a few pony nuts on for added texture?
Nope, last time I got a bag it was a battle to get them to eat it even mixed with their normal bucket food (which admittedly is not a lot).
Just wanted to add - I had one that my local tack shop ordered in specially - think it was a Spillers. It smelled nice enough but none of ours would touch it! They tried it and then just ignored it. I think that was aimed at winter meals - marketed as ideal for good doers too (I think). Yours might like it, shame you can't buy smaller half size bags to try. Because it's such a waste when they don't gel with them.
I was just looking at the spillers, but think I will stay away if yours weren't impressed. It's difficult because all the 'healthy' low starch, low sugar stuff must be so boring, a bit like trying to eat plain dry ryveta for us....a bit like dry old cardboard :D

Nope, last time I got a bag it was a battle to get them to eat it even mixed with their normal bucket food (which admittedly is not a lot).

I was just looking at the spillers, but think I will stay away if yours weren't impressed. It's difficult because all the 'healthy' low starch, low sugar stuff must be so boring, a bit like trying to eat plain dry ryveta for us....a bit like dry old cardboard :D

Oh lol yes dry old cardboard - I remember my old YO likening old hay to Bran Flakes - when the other horses were getting lovely smelling hayledge!!!

I seem to remember the Spillers mash was sort of apple flavoured. But it was not well received......................

I have been using speedibeat that takes 10 mins and all mone love it. That or calm and condition which is also 10 mins both low starch and sugar
Speedibeet is what I currently use, but in super cold water int he winter it takes more like 20 minutes to soak properly. Calm and condition is the same as fast fibre in terms of texture, they just won't eat mush.

I've heard good things about Pink Mash. Not tried it though. O.5% sugar and less than 4% starch. Get good reviews on HHO.

I've heard good things about Pink Mash. Not tried it though. O.5% sugar and less than 4% starch. Get good reviews on HHO.
I did try a sample of that actually and Jess ate it, but its another that is just mush and I suspect like the others she would stop eating it after a few days. She never used to be this fussy! :rolleyes:

Keyflow Pink Mash is good, and you don't have to soak it to a mush. Little Un turns his nose up at Fast Fibre but he likes that. You could try adding a few grass nuts to add texture, they soften but unless left for a very long time don't mush.

Or get a safe high fibre nut and soak to a texture they find acceptable, since they can be fed dry you don't have to go overboard with the soaking.

Yep I do both of those, but a few grass nuts or high fiber nuts with a sprinkling of chaff and just enough water to make everything stick and she just picks out the nuts and leaves the rest, wet them more and she won't eat any of it, to give enough nuts to not need the chaff, well she only gets 1 cup of nuts for her main feed each day so she would probably pop. She will eat powders in speedy beet but I don't always have the time to wait for it to soak properly
(hot water is possible this time of year but not in winter as the gas gets too cold to work and then you have to wait for it to cool anyway)
in the mornings which is normally when I discover her next injury :confused: If there isn't anything out there then I'll stick with speedibeet, just wondered if there was something quicker that would work :)

Agrobs Alpergrün mash is absolutely fantastic. It's mostly grass and flowers with a bit of linseed and psyllium and some root veg to make it tasty. It soaks in 2 minutes to a delectable green splat which every horse I have tried it on loves, and it's great for mixing with a handful of chaff to administer meds.

Agrobs Alpergrün mash is absolutely fantastic. It's mostly grass and flowers with a bit of linseed and psyllium and some root veg to make it tasty. It soaks in 2 minutes to a delectable green splat which every horse I have tried it on loves, and it's great for mixing with a handful of chaff to administer meds.
Hmm it's the splat that she gets bored of, unless it retains some texture? I loved the weisencobbs and the muslei but Jess has other ideas :(

Yep I do both of those, but a few grass nuts or high fiber nuts with a sprinkling of chaff and just enough water to make everything stick and she just picks out the nuts and leaves the rest, wet them more and she won't eat any of it, to give enough nuts to not need the chaff, well she only gets 1 cup of nuts for her main feed each day so she would probably pop. She will eat powders in speedy beet but I don't always have the time to wait for it to soak properly
(hot water is possible this time of year but not in winter as the gas gets too cold to work and then you have to wait for it to cool anyway)
in the mornings which is normally when I discover her next injury :confused: If there isn't anything out there then I'll stick with speedibeet, just wondered if there was something quicker that would work :)

What a madam! In the winter could you take a flask of hot water up, and then when it's done just add a splash of cold to cool it down enough to eat?

Can you not just soak some Speedi beet ready? Mine have that and I make enough for 3 days in cold temps and do it the night before in the summer?

Chunky wasnt too keen on the fast fibre slop. Even if I damped it he wasnt keen. Hes another that likes texture. I have used the speedi beet. I agree its a good 20 mins soak. I try to put it into soak before I go out on my morning hack, so it's done by the time i get back. I do find if the speedi beet is mixed for 24 hrs it looses texture. I know you cant do that but could you put some up on your afternoon visit ready for the morning.
Alternatively I use normal sugar beet nuts which need a good soak so I always put it up the day before. That keeps its texture better. I actually prefer it over the speedi beet for the texture reason.

Hmm it's the splat that she gets bored of, unless it retains some texture? I loved the weisencobbs and the muslei but Jess has other ideas :(
Ziggy loved the Weisencobs and they soak quite quickly but also turn into splat. He preferred some texture so would always mix in a handful of the Agrobs chaff - Ziggy had the one for fat ponies, Mattie gets the one made from top quality grass :)

What a madam! In the winter could you take a flask of hot water up, and then when it's done just add a splash of cold to cool it down enough to eat?
I can do, it's more the last minute feedings I struggle with, if I know I'm going to need it I make up the visit before. I make it hot at home when it's really really cold out, they go crazy for warm brekkie :D
Can you not just soak some Speedi beet ready? Mine have that and I make enough for 3 days in cold temps and do it the night before in the summer?
I can but thinking of something that will work for when not feeding it daily.

Chunky wasnt too keen on the fast fibre slop. Even if I damped it he wasnt keen. Hes another that likes texture. I have used the speedi beet. I agree its a good 20 mins soak. I try to put it into soak before I go out on my morning hack, so it's done by the time i get back. I do find if the speedi beet is mixed for 24 hrs it looses texture. I know you cant do that but could you put some up on your afternoon visit ready for the morning.
Alternatively I use normal sugar beet nuts which need a good soak so I always put it up the day before. That keeps its texture better. I actually prefer it over the speedi beet for the texture reason.
I'm glad it's not just her that's weird about it ;) The normal nuts are all molassed that I've found so I avoid them.

@Jessey I'm sure you can get unmollassed nuts, might be worth doing some googling and then seeing what your feed store will get in.

newrider.com