Masta Zing/ budget lightweight turnouts.... recommendations

Lolly-lu

Oct 22, 2008
East Sussex
Right, i'm looking for a cheap lightweight rug that is going to hold together for more than one use. I'm currently having a rug re-proofed and need a spare anyway but i'm on a budget...

I have found the Masta Zing is reasonably priced, but is it any good, how is the fit i.e, does it come up big, small etc

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

My horse is a known rug demolisher and got through the zing on first wear..... depends if your horse enjoys destroying things!! for me, sadly the zing was false economy! It fitted well though as Masta tend to be generous in the shoulder..... he's now in a weatherbeeta, which cost a lot more, but has held up well!

i bought a rhinegold harleguin just to keep the wind/showers off polo, it's been great so far and wa about £30 off ebay. I use my premier equine one for more seious weather. I'd recommend going up a size though

Try Tesco! I bought an LW rainsheet from there and it's turned out to be the most useful rug I have! It's a breathable lightweight lined with cotton, has slippy shoulders. Totally waterproof. Only downside is that it's a poofy baby blue colour :eek: Stan is hard on rugs and it's surviving admirably.

This is it's 3rd year. Cost £17.00. :)

Last edited:
Masta Zing have given me nothing but trouble - rubbing at the withers, shoulders, etc ... this is on completely different types of horses, so you'd have expected that at least one of them would fit this rug. But no. 16.2 warmblood - rubbed withers. 13.2 show pony - rubbed withers. 14.2 young cob - rubbed shoulders. 16 heavy cob - rubbed everything! No more zings for me!

My favourite rainsheet of all is my Elle Hoof half neck rain sheet (£29.99). I also like the amigo lightweights ... or a second hand Rhino is always a good thing!!!

From what I've seen & heard Zing's are worse than naked (well they may keep mud off if they aren't too badly torn :rolleyes:). I've been happy with Amigos, or if you've got a slightly bigger budget Jumpers Horse Line & Premier Equine.

I got an Amigo lightweight a few weeks back and so far it's fine, fits nice. Got mone from Horsehouse Northwood for around £30.
Last time I looked Tesco had no rugs on their website, hope they get them back again.

I love the Amigo lightweights, their the best budget ones I've come across. The Shires Tempest one is ok and I've heard good things about Weatherbeeta ones.

Last time I looked Tesco had no rugs on their website, hope they get them back again.

I don't know if they are normally on their website.. I bought mine from a store - not a supermarket - the Tesco "shops" not sure what they are called :confused: apparently they are stocked seasonally.. I know someone who bought a fly-sheet, headcollars and a sweat sheet in the big Pitsea store a little while ago :confused:

I recently bought an Equine Clothing Company stretch turnout lightweight from eBay. It was about £20 inc postage, and I love it :D My lad is a rug ripper, and so far, so good for this one. I'm planning to get River one once she's outgrown the vast array of rugs that I've been given for her to "Grow into" :p

It's here just over half way down the page.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, have lots to choose from now, never knew choosing a rug would be such a pain in the arse.. best get shopping!

Amigo lightweight is fab but the masta zing I've decided to use as patch material for other rugs as it has 2 massive tears on the inside round by the shoulders and Dyl isn't particularly wide, it also has some tears on the outer material too. I'm usually a fan of masta but I wouldn't recommend the masta zing. :eek:

newrider.com