Mattie update, queasy pic again

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Well, Mattie had his bandage changed again today. He could not behave better: he stands as still as still while I snip, cut, unravel, clean and rewrap. Only after does he lift his whole leg high in the air, honestly like a ballet dancer doing an arabesque, and shake it around as if to say "That feels really weird."

The wound is gross to look at but is clean and not sensitive to touch. He didn't mind me pouring a little cleansing fluid over it. The damn dressing keeps slipping off the wound no matter what I do. I've tried an above the hock figure-of-eight this time in the hopes that it will stay up.

Those of you who have seen many wounds, what do you think? I guess this is what they call proud flesh?

Before

IMG_0615.JPG

After

IMG_0616.JPG

Reactions: Jessey
It may lead to proud flesh, but at the moment I'd say it's just healing and to keep plenty of pressure on that area with dressing and bandage. When's the vet coming to see it again? If he thinks proud flesh is developing they can give you ointments to discourage it from developing and obviously that's preferable to having it cut off. It does look nice and healthy though. Would it be worth putting some wide Elastoplast type strapping tape above the hock to try and hold the vet wrap in place? It wouldn't stretch as much as the vet wrap, which looks quite loose in the photo, and so might keep everything up.

What a star Mattie is being, you couldn't hope for a better patient :)

It may lead to proud flesh, but at the moment I'd say it's just healing and to keep plenty of pressure on that area with dressing and bandage. When's the vet coming to see it again? If he thinks proud flesh is developing they can give you ointments to discourage it from developing and obviously that's preferable to having it cut off. It does look nice and healthy though. Would it be worth putting some wide Elastoplast type strapping tape above the hock to try and hold the vet wrap in place? It wouldn't stretch as much as the vet wrap, which looks quite loose in the photo, and so might keep everything up.

What a star Mattie is being, you couldn't hope for a better patient :)
Vet is coming on Thursday. I will do my best to increase pressure over the wound site without putting pressure on the rest of the leg - I find it quite hard to get the tension right with the Vetwrap. I hope I haven't made the proud flesh issue worse with sloppy bandaging.

ETA if that looks "nice and healthy" I would hate to see one that looks horrid!

Pressure is a fine line because you don't want to put too much pressure on other structures and create more problems whereas too little pressure isn't going to cause problems, just maybe allow proud flesh so healing takes longer. Maybe when the vet comes you could ask if you can bandage it with them there and they can then show you just how much pressure to put where?

Not healing well can have skin and flesh dying back, yellow oozy pus, stink, and certainly not that nice pink colour that shows a good blood supply.

newrider.com