Max ages for eventers?

K

Kate&TheHerd

I know its hard to say but I'm looking for a horse to do sj, xc and possibly eventing. I'd like to do this for say the next 5 or so years. If I bought a horse now that is 11 or 12 is that too old? I know its hard to say but I would appreciate your comments, thanks :D

I wouldn't sat that was too old wasn't there a horse doing Badminton this year who was 16

I thought it was even older....17 maybe? I'd say 11 is definitely not too old to think about taking eventing in the future but it all depends on the health of the horse, it's past workload and what level of eventing you're looking to do.

don't worry, if you keep he/she in constant work, really fit but dont go over the top you can go way over 16.. my old lad was 21 when we started to slow his workload down. he was competed regularly jumpimg/xc / eventing.. and winning. at 21. a tb, still getting penalty points for being too quick at hunter trials... he just didn't want to slow down. he still has a fit if we dont take him when we go to compete every week...it all depends on type and breed. what horse do you have? and do you know its history etc?my lads mother is still a happy hacker and shes 25. like i said it all depeds... some have to retire very young.. you must not push too hard. but the tric is i have foun is keep them fit.. good luck

My instructor was Over To You's groom until he retired and he was 19 at this year's Badminton where he completed it for the 7th time :)

Daffy is just beginning his WHP career at 15. He'll also be going hunting for the first time (AFAIK) this winter, not to mention XC for the first time when I can fit it in. :D

They do need quite a lot of experience to get good at eventing.

Ginny's most successful ODE was when she and Kate were both 18; they were second in a 3'9" Open class – and Kate hadn't walked the showjumping course, so the horse had to sort it all out. That's where experience counts!

So if you buy a 12 year-old, and spend a year or so establishing your partnership, you should have plenty of years to compete.

I know its hard to say but I'm looking for a horse to do sj, xc and possibly eventing. I'd like to do this for say the next 5 or so years. If I bought a horse now that is 11 or 12 is that too old? I know its hard to say but I would appreciate your comments, thanks :D

Sounds like a perfect age to me! Mature enough physically and mentally to take the demands of competition just coming into the best years to perform!

newrider.com