maybe silly question - road sign

Stormin

Jun 28, 2007
Export - GMT+1
panneaux-routiers1.gif

OK, this does mean no vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, right ?
So can I take this road with my trailer loaded up with 2 horses (for arguments sake, let's say 2 tonnes) and my towing vehicle (which is just over 1.5 tonnes) :confused:

Did you mean to post a pic of a sign???

By the sounds of it, though, you'd be right that 3.5 tonnes is the maximum on the road in question. To be totally safe, why not contact your local VOSA testing station and ask if you can have your vehicle, trailer and two horses on board weighed? I presume this is possible!

We just go to the local weigh bridge, the boys are used to us driving on, running into the office, looking over their shoulders at the readout, swearing and running out again! :D :D

3.5 ton weight limit

In a word 'no'

The weight limits refer to the permitted maximum gross weight, not what it does actually weigh.

For example near me there is a 16 tonne weigh limit bridge. My empty tanker weighs around 8, BUT its GVW is 26 tonnes so even though it is empty it is still over that limit.

Oh weird - I could see the piccie when I started the thread but it's gone.

Bummer if I can't take that road because I'm over the limit. Guess that riding club is out then because I can't hack there.
I do wonder if the local farmers pay attention to the limit though :rolleyes:

Weight limit sign

All may not be lost . . . Quite often these things also have an 'except for access' sign too. Provided you are accessing a property there then you are OK. You'll quite often see things like 'except buses' too. It may not be that a structure is week but that they want to restrict the size of vehicles using smaller roads.

Your farmer will have 'access' rights - hence travels it merrily.

Many moons ago I turned up to an industrial estate in an articulated lorry coming in at 32,500 kg and was faced with a 10T weight limit sign on a bridge.

That bridge was the only access therefore legal (but I did hold my breath) to go over.

Thanks for that one. Will have a closer look the next time I drive in that area (without trailer of course ;) )

I guess we have the same "issue" with special roadsigns after severe cold weather, basically called 'defrost limit' with the tonnage underneath.
They're meant to preserve the road and to limit the top layer from beaking up as the under layer thaws.

Means that the roads aren't meant to be used by vehicles over that tonnage (5T, 10T) except for local delivery.
That meant that the busses, tractors + loaded trailers, milk delivery still continued on these roads :rolleyes:

newrider.com