May's ulcer... again. New dilemma though.

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
Well I've been sticking cream in May's eye again for a while and a) the ulcer is much better and b) May is really stressed, a bit threatening and hard to catch and not very happy.

Latest from the vet is that I have a choice about how to continue. Ideally I would keep squidging the cream in but as she is so depressed and unhappy at the treatment and the ulcer is now very minor he said I could try leaving it to see if it will heal on its own. He says 3 things could happen.

1. It gets better.

2. It doesn't change.

3. It gets worse, which carries with it the risk of losing the eye.

I didn't put cream in this morning and she was so much nicer. I keep thinking what's the point of trying so hard to save the eye if the pony is so desperately unhappy anyway - but then I really don't want her to lose it either. I just don't know what to do for the best any more.

One vet said leave it and see how it goes, the other said keep trying to get the cream in if I can. What should I do?

What a difficult descision. But I think if you have seen the ulcer improve by using the cream, I'd do my best to carry on.

I don't envy you - a miserable situation. I've got my fingers crossed for you both.

Lesley

chev

What a crappy situation to be in! :( I agree with Dizzy. I'd try for a little while longer with the cream, to see if there's anymore improvements. Maybe get another person to help if May gets a little too restless.

Doesn't sound like either of you are having fun! :( Best wishes for you and May. I hope the #3 extreme doesn't happen! I hope she gets better!!

Maci :)

please don't get too upset if it comes to he worst and she does lose her eye.Some people do not think that a horse will be happy with one eye. That's not trye. I have ridden a pony with one eye and she was wonderful. She jumped really well anh was happy in herself.

I've decided to try and carry on with the cream, but cut it down to once a day and see how it goes. I think I'm just too afraid to stop altogether in case it does get worse; just needed someone to encourage me to keep going.

ros - that's a really good idea - don't know of any but I'll make some enquiries. I'm using Bach remedies on her now which do help her mentally but don't do much for the eye.

maverick, I'm not bothered about the thought of a pony with one eye, one of my ponies is missing his left eye and is perfectly happy (although I do wonder what people would say if I end up with two one-eyed ponies!) it's just that it would mean her having surgery to remove the eye and I think she's been through enough already.

I suppose the other thing that's bothering me is what if it heals up again just to come back a third time? I guess the answer to that one is wait and see. Thanks for your replies, I'll keep you posted.

newrider.com