Meal planning and bulk ideas

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Thinking outloud here!!
I live on my own (if you forget my other animals!). I like to meal.plan but i am never very good at it! I also like to cook things in bulk. However i find i end up doing alot of pasta or various bakes but after a while i get bored of it! Any suggestions?

Not bulk cooking, but have you thought of getting a slow cooker? You could prepare veg etc in bulk in advance and freeze (or buy ready frozen) then chuck everything in before you leave the house in the morning so you come back to a hot meal at night. Good for stews, curries etc and I'm sure if you looked up recipes you'd find you could do lot more.

Corned beef stew.
Potato pies.
Shepherds pie.
These can all be done in a croc pot and living alone, if you buy the two person version (which t and I have) you can make loads and freeze loads. (We don't ever freeze it lol as it all seems to get eaten on the night!!!!!)
Corned beef stew is delicious and very easy. And if you make it fairly liquidy then you can enjoy with lots of bread dipped in.
Home made spud pie is brilliant too - and goes a long way. Make sure you have those jars of red cabbage and beetroot in your cupboard!!!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Mr T makes a lovely chicken madras which he starts on the hob during the day and then transfers to the croc. It's wonderful and you could make something similar and then buy garlic naan breads to go with (if you can't be bothered with rice separately) then you can have lots of bread. (I love bread can you tell?!)

Stewed potatoes are ace too. When T and I first moved in together I used to sometimes make this on a Sunday afternoon - it was lovely and warming. Just need lots of spuds, butter, onions, salt, pepper and water.

• Love
Chilli, bolognese sauce, curries, casseroles, chicken cachitore is good too. I'll often do a slow cooker chicken then use that up over a week. Make stock from the carcass to add to soups. A slow cooker and pressure cooker are worth getting

Do you clever bulk cookers then freeze and get out on the day of cooking?
Eg, if I made a Shepard’s pie. Stick it in the freezer, defrost? Then just heat up?
Why have I never thought of this?!

Trouble is with batch cooking and freezing, I leave it too late to get stuff out to de frost sometimes. Mind you, that's where having a very useful in the kitchen other half comes in................he remembers generally and is the one doing the bulk cooking. He tries to do meat and potato pies. But they usually get eaten before they make it into the freezer....................... :p :oops::D:D:D

I like that more and more people are starting to watch their diet. It is very important to avoid eating junk food because it will negatively affect your health. Meal planning is not that difficult if you have enough free time. But it is better to ask for help from a nutritionist who will make you a good menu for the whole week. To eat right, I decided to sign up for meal kit delivery. On this site, https://www.moneyunder30.com/meal-delivery-comparison, I read a comparison of the best companies that work in this field.

Last edited:
I cook chick peas then freeze them in small bags to make hummus or to add to curry. I also bulk cook and freeze portions of Texan beans and Egyptian beans

newrider.com