measuring for a saddle

Lucie

Mar 3, 2007
I went on a course some years ago which was focused on saddle fitting. I found it really interesting and very enjoyable, but we only covered taking body shape and saddle type/make into account and looking at whether or not particular saddles fit particular horses (eg, too narow, too wide, too long etc).

Since then I have been wondering how one measures a horse for a made to measure saddle. When there is no saddle in front of you to begin with.

Can anyone cure my curiosity :)?

It goes on the rider leg length (the size seat) from hip to knee but the saddle should not go past the last rib. The width is done by making templates, you could use a wire coat hanger or you can buy special types.:)

It goes on the rider leg length (the size seat) from hip to knee but the saddle should not go past the last rib. The width is done by making templates, you could use a wire coat hanger or you can buy special types.:)

No kidding. That high tech eh :p?

I knew about the rider leg length (we covered that ;)) and I'd heard of the coat hanger method, but didn't know that was how the pros did it :).

Thanks sj :D.

They use like a flexable plastic thing and the put it on the horse pony then they put it on paper and draw the shape of it. The pro's usually can just about tell by looking at them but then they do the templates to make sure.

They use like a flexable plastic thing and the put it on the horse pony then they put it on paper and draw the shape of it. The pro's usually can just about tell by looking at them but then they do the templates to make sure.

So from looking at that template, can they tell how wide a saddle needs to be if the saddle weren't made to measure?

I'm presuming that one could measure for a ready made saddle that way too. But how would you measure it for width (from where to where)? Base of wither to base of wither?
Without a saddle in front of me, I'd be lost :p.

I don't understand you,
they do this
image.php

product_image.php

I use lead flashing which can be bought at local DIY store. Much more accurate than "coat hanger wire" as the wire tends to have an inheritant memory and springs back out of shape giving you a false reading.The lead flashing needs to be folded in half to make it thicker so it retains it's shape.It is longer than the flexi curves some Saddlers use, so you can take a lengthways profile of the height of the withers too for more accuracy.
Traditionally a Saddler would take out a selection of trees to try on the horse for size and fit, then when he was happy with his selection he would measure up the horse and rider and take into account horse's age, level of work and intended work in the future so he could decide what panel, flaps,seat etc would best fit the horse.He would take a selection of hides for the customer to choose from for the saddle.Far removed from today's buy it off ebay!
Oz :)

Aren't you the clever one! I know just where there is a length of lead flashing lying doing nothing, I generally melt lead down into punching blocks! I now have a new use for it.

newrider.com