Meat eating horses

Gracie is an equine dustbin and has eaten a couple of dried cat food pellets before. My YM dared me to feed her one and when she ate it she said "I bet she wouldn't eat another one though...." She did. To be honest, if Gracie sees me eat (or drink!) anything it's fair game to her for me to share and will loudly demand her ration. She doesn't always get it though!!!

Reactions: Jessey
I wonder how much of the meat they can digest, perhaps if introduced over time their gut bacteria became accustomed to it? I've always been wary of feeding anything unusual and even more so following Brodie's surgery.

I wonder how much of the meat they can digest, perhaps if introduced over time their gut bacteria became accustomed to it? I've always been wary of feeding anything unusual and even more so following Brodie's surgery.
Did they think his colic was caused by an unusual treat?

I have often offered mine a little of anything. Jess will rarely try anything new, it took me ages to get her to try a mint when she was a baby and apples were clearly trying to poison her for weeks :eek::D Hank on the other hand will eat anything you offer him, he ate one of those squashies sweets the other day :rolleyes:

Did they think his colic was caused by an unusual treat?
Eating something out of the norm was one of the early suggestions but I'm not sure what sort of quantities they meant. Probably more than a biscuit or a lick of an ice lolly, but I just always worry

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com