Megan got Hen pecked

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
My little JR has been harassing my hens. She is not vicious in any way, she just wants them to 'play' and chase her.

Off course the hens are not the remotest bit interested in anything but worms and insects, food and eggs, they are not inclined to play with each other never mind a dog. Usually Megan sort of runs at them, like 'tag' and one or all chase her (which she loves). I do try to dissuade, this activity but Megan will keep pushing her luck.

Anyway yesterday, and over the weekend, we have been doing a lot in the garden and I think the hens have had enough, banging, moving about etc too last them a lifetime. Poor girls, one even went broody and another started pecking the other ones head:eek:

In steps Megan, at precisely the wrong moment. The hens all turned on her with flapping feathers. She lied down on her back in the 'I am a puppy and helpless' mode (she is not a puppy, she is three:giggle: ). She received a good pecking from all the hens, fortunately I was there to 'save' her, it was all over in seconds really.

They are all happy again today. I would like to say it had taught her a lesson (even though I jumped to save her at the time) but it hasn't, she is back whimpering and fussing around them again as soon as I go anywhere near them.

Silly naughty dog.

Poor dog was terrified, but none the worse for her exploits.

I am chuckling but I know I shouldn't - poor wee dog!! I had no idea hens were so uppity when they had to be. I know I've been reading Frances blog on here and she mentions her hens, I think they have a war between her and one of her horses at feeding times!! lol

I have a JRX that I am at the moment trying to train to not chase hens ! She had a trial run loose round the farm... but sadly she got a huge cock in her mouth and he escaped by loosing his tail feathers. For the time being shes not allowed of the lunge line when outside here. The thing with her is Im not sure how far she would go, after watching her I think she may well kill !. Its not really her fault though as at the last farm ( no hens ) she was encouraged to seek out rats and destroy! She seems to think anything moving is for the taking now!. Anyway hopefully she will come round!

Last edited:
I was extremely wary at first. I got the hens last May and the dog was first introduced on a lead. Meg is not a typical JR in the biting sense, she is a real softy, I think she must has a cross of something daft in her, she couldn't kill a rabbit for example to save her life.

Sometime around last September she managed to escape and get out with them, I panicked thinking all my hens could possibly be killed, but as it turned out they where all quite happy together. I still never leave them alone because it is a back garden and you can't be to sure how pets will react when cornered etc.

Suggest you try the lead first, watch the reactions and judge from how your dog responds with other smaller animals.

She seems fine when they are all still ! She will walk past and ignore them now ( always on lead still) however if they are running or fluttering shes choking on the end of the lead to get at them! I think she likes the thrill of the chase! Her recall also goes out the window when the red mist becomes of her It becomes more of a Benny Hill scene which for now I think I will avoid!

Plus the surrounding fields have iccle lambs in now, I cant risk her spying one of those. Shes a very playful little dog but the recall issues dont dare me let her loose especially in lambing season.

I actually took her to a dog training class once to work on her recall and general commands which at the time none were working!.. The little swine was a model pupil... didnt bark at one dog.. sat... stayed.. recalled perfect! the lady who ran the class asked me what the actual problem was !! She really showed me up that day LOL !

She seems fine when they are all still ! She will walk past and ignore them now ( always on lead still) however if they are running or fluttering shes choking on the end of the lead to get at them! I think she likes the thrill of the chase! Her recall also goes out the window when the red mist becomes of her It becomes more of a Benny Hill scene which for now I think I will avoid!

Yes Megan was the same on her lead, which is why I was quite shocked (and relieved ) when she did actually get out with them, she wasn't bothered, its difficult to judge and I think each dog, particularly terriers, has to be dealt with as an individual.

I must video her with them one day, its really funny, even though I try to discourage her. She doesn't want to bite them at all, she just wants them to chase her. Very back to front really, she is a silly dog lol.

newrider.com