Melody is Lame 😢

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
I think she’s possible done it running round in the field like a loon. She has heat in her hock.
Giving her a few days off to see if it gets any better. 😢
Really hope she’s ok 😢

Not sure what to do thought about cold sponginging I don’t have access to hose pipe and the yard.

Given her some buteless to take the pain away.
Will see how she is this afternoon. 🤞🤞🤞

Aw poor Melody. Have you felt her tendons? Any heat / swelling / thickening there? Or hock only? It might be worth investing in some ice boots to keep at home that you can go get and put on - they are a life saver if you don't have a hose pipe. I keep a pair in our freezer drawer always. (We don't have an outside tap anymore). See how she is this afternoon, but at the risk of sounding gloomy, if you're really unsure and she's very sore and lame ring the vet - the sooner she gets diagnosed and treated the better. Does she have a history of pulled tendons or anything? Is this the first time she's injured? Lots of vibes for her.xxx

Just wanted to add: I keep a bottle of ice gel in too - it's great for slapping on if you don't have the boots at the ready. And although it might not do a tremendous amount, it's better than nothing and is cooling. I also have some Equlibrium packs that I keep in the freezer and you can sort of fashion a bandage around those and put them on any part of the leg if need be (you mention warm hock).

I am sure there's something you can get on prescription too - I just can't remember the name, I know I had it for Storm and for J. But it's quite strong and you need to use gloves to apply (ha, I do remember that bit!). It's for when you suspect they've pulled something or re-injured.

Reactions: carthorse
Am I remembering right she has bone spavin? I would try to ice the warm area, or sponge it with ice water, and use some arnica gel or see if you can find some comfrey to make a poultice with. Vibes coming her way.

Sorry to hear this - hope it clears up soon. Can't add to all the good advice above, but send vibes for a quick recovery.

Yes Melody does have a spavin. She been mostly ok but maybe age is getting to her now she’s 14 ?

I will watch her closely if she’s no better I will get the vet to check her over :)
Normally once spavin fuse they don’t cause any more problems, hopefully it’s just one of those random things that clears up as quickly as it appears.

newrider.com