Metal field shelter?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Has anyone had any experience with a metal field shelter? Any good or bad points? How do they wear and hold up in high wind?

we have one with a metal frame and canvas on top, it needs to be very well anchored as it has tried to go flying a couple of time. when we had a metal shed with indoor stables the panels tended to dent easily and needed to be lined with marine ply and it made a hell of a noise in the wind. there is a company locally selling them but they are £3-4K

Reactions: No_Angel
Up here they would most likely just blow off. If you don't have high winds - they might be okay. I have seen some on the internet. Don't know what they are like price wise though.

Reactions: No_Angel
Up here they would most likely just blow off. If you don't have high winds - they might be okay. I have seen some on the internet. Don't know what they are like price wise though.

We probably don't have wind anywhere near as bad as yours, but as we are technically on a 'mountain' it gets pretty windy compared to other places in the area.

The place I want to put it has a hardcore base with grass on top, I can't even get a poly post into the ground there so I am thinking a mobile shelter might be easier to place. I'm not sure how I will anchor it though unless I put it right next to the stone barn and screw the metal shelter to it.

we have one with a metal frame and canvas on top, it needs to be very well anchored as it has tried to go flying a couple of time. when we had a metal shed with indoor stables the panels tended to dent easily and needed to be lined with marine ply and it made a hell of a noise in the wind. there is a company locally selling them but they are £3-4K

Hmm, the denting easily might be a problem. Big cob likes to rub his bum on things and has pretty much killed every wooden shelter we have had, which is why I am wondering if a metal one might be better. (he managed to push the gate hinges off when they were screwed into the stone building by rubbing his bum on it).

A friends colt was kept at a yard with wooden framed metal sided shelters, in the winter when the ground was soft he stepped right next to the wall and went down into the mud and as he pulled his leg out he removed half of his hoof. After seeing that I would personally never have metal down to the ground unless it was sandwiched between wood to prevent feet getting near the sharp edge.

We probably don't have wind anywhere near as bad as yours, but as we are technically on a 'mountain' it gets pretty windy compared to other places in the area.

The place I want to put it has a hardcore base with grass on top, I can't even get a poly post into the ground there so I am thinking a mobile shelter might be easier to place. I'm not sure how I will anchor it though unless I put it right next to the stone barn and screw the metal shelter to it.

Hmm sounds like it could be tricky keeping it in place.

Noise could be another factor. One of mine (Grace) dislikes the sound of heavy rain/hail on the corrugated barn roof, so will often choose to be out in the worst weather. Luckily we have plenty of stone walls for her to shelter by!

Corrugated metal can be very sharp. So I sort of agree about injuries. My horse caught his bottom on some angle iron in a trailer once by rubbing it has left permenant scars. You would be better having another wood shelter I think.

One of our retired geldings split his forelock open on a piece of stray metal from a shelter in high winds. 200€+ worth of stitches to a boy who doesn't like pain was difficult for the vet as he's 1m74cm:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. Having had a discussion about it I think we will probably do a concrete base and at least a half height block wall, with a wood or metal top half. I think that will be the most sturdy way to do it for Murphy, plus it will match in with my other barns which are all rendered block and stone.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
Has anyone had any experience with a metal field shelter? Any good or bad points? How do they wear and hold up in high wind?
Don't even think about it! I bought a small metal shed to keep hay in. Nightmare to put up due to wind & dangerous sharp edges. Sliding door stuck from Day One. When my ponies moved to a new field I took the shed apart. Was still useable but couldn't even give it away. Scrap man took it but was very reluctant.

newrider.com