Might be selling the trailer for a lorry

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
It depends of where and when we get posted but OH has agreed, it's my money but I like him to be on my side.

So will sell my 505 and my 4x4 and buy a 57 plate 3.5 lorry then a very small 2010 plate car for me.

:spin:

Sounds exciting.

The only downside with buying a 3.5 tonne lorry, is that it will be over the weight limit with 2 big horses on board. If you are planning on traveling both your boys together I think that you will need something bigger.

MP I have a Grandad license so I am fine with the weight.

I don't mean your license, I mean that the weight of two big horses in a 3.5 box will make the total weight of the box and the horses heavier than 3.5 tonnes and therefore will be illegal to carry them.

I looked into getting a horse transporter to carry Ben and my friends 16hh TB to a show. Ben weighs about 570kg and the TB weighs 600kg. The transporter said that our horses would be too heavy to carry in her 3.5 lorry and refused to take us.

Yeap sorry know what you mean, boys weigh 500kg for Ginger and 540 for Chanter. so should be OK.

I think it is strange that they advertise as two horses up to 16.2 but I don't know many 16.2 that would fit in that weight limit

I know - I always thought that if a horse could actually fit into a horsebox, then they would be OK to travel in it. Apparently there are loads of people who overload their 3.5 horseboxes and they face huge fines if caught (not to mention they are dangerous on the roads).

Out of interest, why are you swapping to a box? Have you had a bad experience in a trailer?

Don't look at a 3.5t then !! If you can drive a 7.5 t buy one much safer and better value!!

When Emma was young she drove my Discovery and towed a trailer at 18 after passing trailer test. We had to make a long journey over a weekend so hired a 3.5 t box, returned it and was so impressed we went straight to a dealer and bought a 5t. Booked daughter on 5 day course and she passed HGV test. One year on we bought our current box, a very heavy 7.5 t which we are in the process of uprating.

The heavier the box the better your horse travels.

Go and look around Select Horseboxes near Southwell racecourse. We have had both of ours from Andrew, he won't pressure you but let you have a good look round, Then get them vetted like a horse!!

Personally I would never put my horses in a 3.5 or a trailer again having seen the differnce in how they travel

Last edited:
Don't forget to add the weight of the people in the box as well. If you have 2 horses, generally you will have at least 2 if not 3 people to add to the weight as well. When you start to add together the weight of everything that you need (rugs, hay, feed, tack, clothes etc, etc.) it all adds up.

EML and MP amend my search but a bigger box is more road tax.

MP no I love my trailer Chanter is great in it but Ginger is not so great when on his own and I take him on his own a lot now.

The trailer is fine if we can't afford a large lorry.

Hmm I'm considering this as well. I LOVE my discovery but it's not practical. I would only need a 3.5tonne though as would carry only my own horse.

:Goes off to Google:

I can't remember how the road tax on my 7.5 tonne lorry compares to the 4x4 I used to have, but the insurance is less for the lorry than it was for the 4x4 (through NFU).

If you have a licence look at the 6-7.5t ones, far better value. I hate to say it but you look far too young to have 'grandfather rights'!!

We have had Ivecos, Mercedes and Dafs and every thing from 4.5t to 7.5 t, about to have our 7.5 t upgraded to 8 or 10 ton.

What ever you choose, ask for and check the weigh bridge certificate. If you can then ask to load up your horses. tack, partners, helpers , water, fuel etc and weigh again. These days you may well be pulled off the road for weighing, failing may mean you are stranded and have a very large fine, not worth the risk

I hate to say but I do not know of any safe 3.5t that takes two horses and very few 7.5 with living ...the best manufacturers now say two horse max on a 7.5t with minimal living, ours will only carry one skinny TB legally,hence our uprating it. However uprating introduces a whole new world of tachos and permitted hours!!

OBC- if you do sell your trailer can you pm me price etc or at least where it will be advertised;)!! Thanks very much xx

newrider.com