Miklem Bridles

The sizing is not weird, you have to bear in mind that the bit is extremely curved, and therefore my own horse who would take a 5" in a straight bar bit takes a 6" in the verbindend.

I think notpoodle is talking about the micklem bridle not the bit ;) I found the sizing odd - the size meant to fit Rubic's head was a tad too neat round the noseband but fit her fine everywhere else. If I'd gone bigger it'd be too big everywhere else!

That is very intersting about the bit size, a whole inch bigger?! I know in waterfords it is recommended to go a 1/2 inch up but I didn't realise that the verbindend was so curved!

I think notpoodle is talking about the micklem bridle not the bit ;) I found the sizing odd - the size meant to fit Rubic's head was a tad too neat round the noseband but fit her fine everywhere else. If I'd gone bigger it'd be too big everywhere else!

That is very intersting about the bit size, a whole inch bigger?! I know in waterfords it is recommended to go a 1/2 inch up but I didn't realise that the verbindend was so curved!

Dippy me!!!

Yes, the Verbindend is mega curved - in a normal bit, Tobes would be a 5.25/5.5 depending on the mouthpiece.

Sjp1, I can't thank you enough, I think we've cracked it!

I rode Joy out for only 30 mins yesterday. The split reins I ordered were so narrow that it was pointless trying them so I popped on (the devils own) roundings. Joy was great and gave me variations in pace, she was spooky (normal for her but more do after not being in regular work) and it was easy to get her working nicely do she wasn't able to consider what her next spook would be!

I even got some nice canters from her after a full pelt race up a hill. Normally I'd be scared she'd stop or spook or something and would always sit to it. This time I'd went up into 2 point and went with it. She loved it, I loved it but I didn't get a chance to test brakes as I forgot to as we enjoyed it so much.

Today I thought sod it and rode in the big middle field which my yard mate had her dressage markers out in. This is big for me. I hate riding in circles, Joy hates schooling too and I rescued her from that when I bought her and took her off working livery at the riding school. She knows I hate it and plays up which makes me hate it more and we end up going for a hack instead. Bad of me I know. Anyway, no hi viz and no gate open meant Joy knew we weren't hacking, cue jogging on the spot with head in the air! I held her with seat and squeezed my reins gently asking her to lower her head and soften...which she did but still wanted to jog on the spot. I made use of her energy and git the slowest mist collected trot ever going up to the field. Then we went in to the dressage markers and she realised we weren't hacking round the farm or jumping the jumps we'd passed so up came the head and she tried to evade by proceeding diagonally at trot. I again asked for her to bring her head down and soften...and she did!!! This used to take a full on warm up to achieve and even then she'd still be tense and pensive. Within 5 mins she was soft and relaxed so we even did 20m circles, 3 loop serpentines and spirals at trot. Before, I'd have need a couple of session of just walk and then progress to trot as she'd want to tank off and throw fits knowing I'd hate it and just return to schooling on hacks.

So, here I am, writing that we'll do another few schooling sessions with a view to introducing canter when I can get it into my head that I actually want to do it. I just hope the ground holds out and it doesn't rain too much otherwise it'll have to stop.

Still need to test the brakes as well but suspect I'll bung a burn on for that as I had a curb on her myler.

Sjp1, I can't thank you enough, I think we've cracked it!

I rode Joy out for only 30 mins yesterday. The split reins I ordered were so narrow that it was pointless trying them so I popped on (the devils own) roundings. Joy was great and gave me variations in pace, she was spooky (normal for her but more do after not being in regular work) and it was easy to get her working nicely do she wasn't able to consider what her next spook would be!

I even got some nice canters from her after a full pelt race up a hill. Normally I'd be scared she'd stop or spook or something and would always sit to it. This time I'd went up into 2 point and went with it. She loved it, I loved it but I didn't get a chance to test brakes as I forgot to as we enjoyed it so much.

Today I thought sod it and rode in the big middle field which my yard mate had her dressage markers out in. This is big for me. I hate riding in circles, Joy hates schooling too and I rescued her from that when I bought her and took her off working livery at the riding school. She knows I hate it and plays up which makes me hate it more and we end up going for a hack instead. Bad of me I know. Anyway, no hi viz and no gate open meant Joy knew we weren't hacking, cue jogging on the spot with head in the air! I held her with seat and squeezed my reins gently asking her to lower her head and soften...which she did but still wanted to jog on the spot. I made use of her energy and git the slowest mist collected trot ever going up to the field. Then we went in to the dressage markers and she realised we weren't hacking round the farm or jumping the jumps we'd passed so up came the head and she tried to evade by proceeding diagonally at trot. I again asked for her to bring her head down and soften...and she did!!! This used to take a full on warm up to achieve and even then she'd still be tense and pensive. Within 5 mins she was soft and relaxed so we even did 20m circles, 3 loop serpentines and spirals at trot. Before, I'd have need a couple of session of just walk and then progress to trot as she'd want to tank off and throw fits knowing I'd hate it and just return to schooling on hacks.

So, here I am, writing that we'll do another few schooling sessions with a view to introducing canter when I can get it into my head that I actually want to do it. I just hope the ground holds out and it doesn't rain too much otherwise it'll have to stop.

Still need to test the brakes as well but suspect I'll bung a burn on for that as I had a curb on her myler.

I am so pleased - it is such a joyous feeling when you actually find a bit that they like, and that you have control in.

Sounds fab - I also until recently have absolutely hated schooling, but because I allowed myself to be roped in to entering the very low level dressage test for a very little low key riding club, I have suddenly found that I actually don't hate schooling quite so much, and the euphoria when you actually get a proper circle etc is amazing.

I too am going to get the Neue Schule curb strap. I also use roundings and whilst I can stop in times of high excitement following a load of others on a fast canter, this way, I think the curb strap might make life easier.

Look forward to more updates from you.

newrider.com