Miklem Bridles

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
So it's got to the stage with Joy that I've found the best bit for her, however, I know that in terms of brakes she's better going off nose pressure. This led me to try a few bitless options and the upshot was that my brakes were better but that I needed them more before the bit allowed me to prevent Joy from getting herself in such a tizzy as I could more effectively school and distract her.

This led me to the conclusion that if there was ever such a beast as a combination bit with her preferred mouthpiece then that would be the best bet for her. There isn't such a bit of kit though.

So now, I'm thinking about the miklem bridle, could that be the answer or would this just affect the way or chosen bit works too much to mean I'd need the brakes more! I'd love to hear from anyone who knows a bit about them as to whether its worth me trying?

I know it's possible to hire them but tbh these hold their value second hand so I'd just look at buying and selling on if it didn't work out.

I have no experience of them personally but they do get good reviews.
I have started using a light rider with malaika she goes well long reining riding was good yesterday a little forward but in all fairness first time ridden out in months.
Have you looked at the orbitless bridle
Kite rider uses one and finds it great,it is nose pressure and instant release and it has different strength settings for you to play with?

I'm happy with bitless nose pressure for brakes, my last one was an english hackamore which gave instant release too, but not for containing and directing energy so won't be trying any more of them.

The perfect answer, at least on paper, is something that gives nose pressure and the refinement of a bit like a combination does. Just that they don't make a combination with the right mouthpiece.

Only comment is, if I had £1 for every time we were asked to make a 'copy' Micklem because the leather and buckles are so awful, I'd be happy! ;) (We can't and won't - they are a patented design!)

They seem to work really well, it's such a shame they make them out of such atrocious leather. :( I've been asked 3 times last week alone to make one and been shown some pictures of one which has had little use, and is literally falling apart. :( They are a LOT of money for what they are, quality and manufacture wise. :(

That's such a shame but tbh a good one would be wasted on me and I'd need to have a synthetic one anyway.

Hmm, am starting to seriously consider it. Still need to save for my Richard Maxwell money and things are tight ATM but reckon its worth trying.

I don't own one but frequently borrow my RI's for lessons with Appley. The difference in her way of going is amazing!! She's now being asked to work and carry herself properly - not always easy if you're 12hh with stumpy legs and a short neck! In our usual bridle she's often evading when schooling (just sloshing head about going NER NER NER! she never does this out hacking btw, only when she's asked to actually do some work), the difference in the Micklem is HUGE!

agree that it's not terribly well made and the colour looks a tad off (the 'brown' one has a horrid pink tinge to it!!) but the design itself is really good!!

I have read good things about them and I know EML using one on the TB's.

My problem with them are neither boy has a flash but these have a strap that does up and lashes the mouth shut past the bit mush like a flash. Now if I have this wrong please feel free to correct me but I just don't like strapping the mouth shut.

Thats a good point. I've never wanted or needed a flash on Joy as she's never evaded in that way. I guess I wouldn't need to tighten it too much, unless that compromises how the bridle works?

it doesn't work like a flash, if anything it works like a drop noseband which, if lose, is a lot less 'mouth shut' than a flash :) you can have it quite lose eg you really don't need to 'strap anything shut' :)

RE: brakes - on a not-very-well-schooled horse, brakes are definitely less with the Micklem so I wouldn't recommend out and about for anything that's strong and won't slow down eg off the seat/voice.

Well I know you are going to say no ......... but - Tobes has a fat tongue and low palate.

He is also not easy to stop when out in company doing fast work, BUT, the bit he goes best in that he actually opens his mouth for is a Neue Schule Verbindend. Very curved with a lozenge, and we have the Universal sides which we use with pelham roundings.

I have gone through a myriad of bits, but he likes this one and I have brakes when required.

I've just been having a look at it. It looks interesting and given that so much of your experiences seem to be the same as mine I think I'll give it a go.

How do they come up for size? I read somewhere to go for 1/4 inch bigger?

They come up small - I think because they are so curved. We are in the 6" - but actually in a straight bar we can pretty much fit into a 5" and a general run of the mill bit a 5.5"

We like our MiKlem, it is made out of smart quality leather ( it is however the compettion one, don't know if that makes a difference!)

Our TBs are both sensitive lads with different issues, one curled up and the other worked too deep as he hated the poll pressure of a normal snaffle even with a poll comfort pad. We found it great as a schooling device and can assure OBC it is nothing like a flash, grackle or drop the way we use it, merely reduces presuure on sensitive areas.

F had it on for the XC part of his first ODE but more because it was a spare bridle to put the slightly different bit on,than for any technical reason.

We bought ours for about halfprice on Ebay with a few scuffs but nothing a good clean couldn't resolve. It not the be all and end all but useful tool in schooling, ours are now back in ordinary snaffles as we have overcome the problems now but would use the miklem again as needed.

I don't however see it in any way as a 'stopping device', rather the opposite in relieving pressure.

Just edited to add supersensitive threw himself on the floor after half a lap with his head on one side in a NS verbindend....they do not suit all horses, try before your buy !!

And you can hire them - a lady called Gail, whose mobile I have, is very prompt with dispatch. If you want it, just say and I can PM it to you.

Heather Hyde, the creator of Neue Schule is an amazing lady. She suggests bits you would NEVER have thought of, and annoyingly, is usually spot on! If you ring her and have a chat with her, she is a very genuine, chatty and hugely informed lady with regard to mouths, and bitting and really does want to help.

No bit suits all horses - they are all individuals, and the fact you can hire bits these days is a godsend!

UPDATE: Have just ordered the Verdibend Universal to try it. Have been haunting eBay for a Micklem or Verdibend to see what bargains came up. Upshot was that both hold their values really well so no bargains to be had! Also, although there were plenty of loose ring 5.5 there weren't any 5.75, let alone with the universal shanks so I ordered one yesterday in a fit of boredom!

Suspect that Joy won't like it due to the mobility in her mouth, hence liking the Cambridge or Myler, but thinking on it it might just be that the French link she hates was because of lack of tongue space as she was in a Waterford for 2-3 weeks to stop her leaning and then swapped out again when the habit was broken. She didn't object to the Waterford at all and I only swapped her out of it as to my mind they are more of a remedial bit choice.

Will keep you updated as to how it goes, won't be rinsing until September as with the school hols and the loft conversion I've not ridden. Can't wait till life settles as I'll be back to riding 5x a week again as I do every September.

I have Kev in the loose ring Verbindend at the moment too. Will be trying it for the month trial and seeing how we get on. Not tried any fast work yet, so not sure about brakes.

Kev also hated his french link (and liked the Myler), but seems better in the Verbindend (we did our dressage test with no tongue/mouth issues), so I think it must be the lack of mouth space rather than the joints. Will see how it goes...

newrider.com