Mini clippers FOUND!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
At the end of February I'll be clipping Sid out and trimming all the floof from his ears. This is to try to prevent a recurrence of the itching which happened in his first year with me and the ear infection which happened last year.

I'd like to get a pair of reliable, sturdy, very small battery clippers for the ears. Ideally they should also be quiet. Can anyone recommend anything?

You probably want trimmers rather than clippers if you already have clippers for the rest of him. My friend has some lovely ones for bridlepath and ears but I can’t remember for the life of me what make/model they are.

Clipperman Jewel's are good, though I'm not sure if they're as small as you want. I've trimmed Lukas's beard with them but haven't done ears because he's still a bit headshy. They're quiet, cordless, easy to use, and while sold as trimmers they manage feather and will even do a small clip if you go slowly.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
@chunky monkey you can with the Jewel's, though the blades stay sharp for a long time. Mine had been used to trim feather all summer and still managed a chaser clip on a thick coat.

I have the harmony and it's quick snap on and off blades.
Can manage a chaser (it will be asked to manage a chaser 😂)

Thanks i might have to invest in some too. Then i wouldnt be sat here with an icepack on my wrist after dagging sheep. With sheep grease blades go blunt quickly so they would need replacing.

I'd like to clip a bit off Hogan - should be fun he nearly flattened me last time I showed him the clippers.

@Jessey yes trimmers, that's what it is. I've seen them on Amazon by Wahl and Liveryman but wondered if anyone had them.
I had the whal ones, they were great actually, very quiet if I remember right with rechargeable batteries. I’m not sure they would be quiet enough for ears though.
I’m curious, if you trim his ear hair will that not make it easier for things to bite him and cause an infection?

Reactions: Trewsers
Harvey can't be clipped with normal clippers without sedation. I have Liveryman nova trimmers and we did a trace clip with no problems and no sedation. It does take a while though!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
My two have got hairy ears i run my hands occasionally inside to check for scurf. Hairy ears get sweaty when in work, take time to dry which causes scald inside. If there clipped it dries quicker after exercise which prevents this. The hairs are designed to stop foreign bodies going in them so hairs do prevent hay and flies from going in. I suppose you have to decide which is the leeser of two evils.
Not clip and get scald, or clip and have fly bites and hay.

I can ask at the yard. However when I remarked on Ella's beautifl clip the YM said it took years of practice to clip like that. So it is a professional skill of which she is rightly proud, but which she gained by clipping many horses year after year.

I had the whal ones, they were great actually, very quiet if I remember right with rechargeable batteries. I’m not sure they would be quiet enough for ears though.
I’m curious, if you trim his ear hair will that not make it easier for things to bite him and cause an infection?
That's what I was thinking too?🤔

Maybe the op is thinking of removing the excess hair so he isn't getting too warm, and therefore itchy and making it sore and starting up a cycle.
I will be clipping something off mine because she will start to itch her face on her knees and I know she hates being too warm, she gets damp and sore.

removing the excess hair so he isn't getting too warm, and therefore itchy and making it sore and starting up a cycle
This is the reason. Last year I noticed him scratching his ears at the end of February. By the end of March he had really damaged one ear and had a good go at the other. The vet recommended I keep them clipped to prevent him getting too hot/sweaty/attracting bites/itchy/self harming. It also means that if something is going wrong I stand a better chance of seeing it.
do you put Sudocreme in his ears?
No, I am not keen on Sudocreme actually. I use Red Horse Ear Balm (which looks as if it is basically nice smelling Vaseline) if they are scurfy inside.

He is very good with clippers and I think wouldn't mind having them clipped but I don't want to risk our relationship which allows me to handle his ears, stick my fingers inside, and apply lotions and potions!

newrider.com