Minor lameness - what could be possible reason?

Scarlett 001

Sep 16, 2003
Skeeter has come up minorly lame on the right fore - hesitant might be the best word. He is hesitant to stretch his right front leg very far forwards when he walks. Some steps are okay, some he puts the leg not too much beyond vertical at the most most forward extension point. He does not seem to mind putting pressure on the hoof, both front hooves are getting equal pressure and time on the ground. It just seems like he can't put it far forward for some reason.

He did have his feet done about 2 days ago, but there is no heat, nothing strange looking about his feet. The farrier did not change the trim or angles - I did put in a call to him just in case, but he is away for the weekend. There is no heat or swelling anywhere in the hoof or leg at all. He does not seem in pain at all. I am thinking he may have pulled something in his shoulder in turnout. It was well below freezing for quite a while and we had loads of snow - then now it went above freezing during the day and below at night, so there is lots of melt and refreezing going on the past few days. Quite tricky ground conditions in turnout.

I think a pulled muscle may be the culprit? Any other ideas what would cause him to shorten his stride - but remember there is no heat and he is happy putting full weight on that right front hoof/leg.

Perhaps some slight brusing on that foot? If is muscle strain then have you tried bandaging both legs and giving bute or danilon for a couple of days and some rest?

newrider.com