Mite / feather / body washes

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I've tried numerous ones for Chloe's lower leg condition. I wondered if anyone on here had used anything with particular success for a combination of mites and just general soothing and helping to soften scabs? She has a condition related to her Cushings - it isn't exactly mud fever nor is it entirely feather mites. Vets have tried all manner of things (dectomax injections) and we've even used Deosect to no avail. I read somewhere about trying Head and Shoulders so gave that a whirl! It was okay but nothing dramatic. I've just tried yet another one - a Naff branded one. So, be interested to know if you've tried anything similar if you have feathers on your horses or just general itchy flaky skin.

We used to use Phytobalm (not sure if that is the correct spelling). I don’t know whether it is any good for mites, but it softened Fred’s scabs and gave him some mud protection.

Reactions: Trewsers
Neither of my two are responding to the pig oil and sulphur powder this past year or so.

Ive tried applying the cattle noromectin wormer direct to there leg patches as i heard people had success with that but not for my two. Ive tried the double dose horse wormer method too.

Tried the head and shoulders, didnt work. It has to be the citrus one i believe. However ive used it on myself on my hair and it stings my face and eyes, so not sure its good to apply to the horses.

I use nizarol shampoo on my itchy scalp. Its expensive but works well on my itchy scalp. I have used it on the horses but not been consistent enough.

Pointless suggestions from me. I wish i could find something to control it too.

Neither of my two are responding to the pig oil and sulphur powder this past year or so.

Ive tried applying the cattle noromectin wormer direct to there leg patches as i heard people had success with that but not for my two. Ive tried the double dose horse wormer method too.

Tried the head and shoulders, didnt work. It has to be the citrus one i believe. However ive used it on myself on my hair and it stings my face and eyes, so not sure its good to apply to the horses.

I use nizarol shampoo on my itchy scalp. Its expensive but works well on my itchy scalp. I have used it on the horses but not been consistent enough.

Pointless suggestions from me. I wish i could find something to control it too.
Not pointless at all - thanks for replying. I didn't know it was the citrus Head and Shoulders that was meant to work. Oh well, I got her the original. Mr t has been using it up (he thinks it's working for him but he really needs our gp to prescribe something as it's not clearing up and he has other skin complaints). The pig oil is okay but it doesn't really work on it's own - I am finding the mite powder works but again not alone. I'm hoping for a miracle cure one day.

I didn't find the pig oil and sulphur worked, ended up using Lincoln powder, that worked. It says not to apply direct to horse, but the shop said to do so, worked, and no ill effects.

Do you know which lincoln one it was @Huggy. Just googled it and they do numerous things. Was it the one you used on hogan for lice.
I think it's this one - I'll check tomorrow, and if it's not I'll let you know. As I say, it says do not put directly on horse, but shop lady said that's just eu rules, and people always used to put it straight onScreenshot_20201115-213847_Samsung Internet.jpg

Going to sound like a broken record for harping on about skin conditions and Forage Plus (?) but why don't you email them for advice? If it definitely isn't MF or mites, it sounds like it could be a compromised immune system.

Loads and loads of pig oil mixed with sulphur is the best thing of me. I use loads, I literally soak his whole lower legs with the stuff. It is the only thing that has worked for me, but I have to do it regularly or he starts itching again.

Going to sound like a broken record for harping on about skin conditions and Forage Plus (?) but why don't you email them for advice? If it definitely isn't MF or mites, it sounds like it could be a compromised immune system.
Vet thinks it’s a combination of mites and her Cushings causing it, always has done. I had it under control for years but she’s reached 31 and it has got a bit worse plus I can’t lay hands on the formula old vet made up themselves.

Loads and loads of pig oil mixed with sulphur is the best thing of me. I use loads, I literally soak his whole lower legs with the stuff. It is the only thing that has worked for me, but I have to do it regularly or he starts itching again.
My boys dont seem itchy at all. Occasionally i see billy nibble his legs and the odd stamp which is usually when im really lax at applying the pig oil and sulphur, but chunky is crusting pretty bad at present. No amount of applying is stopping it. I guess the only one thats bothered by it is me. Although i do wonder if it hampers his flexibilty if the skin is tight.

Vet thinks it’s a combination of mites and her Cushings causing it, always has done. I had it under control for years but she’s reached 31 and it has got a bit worse plus I can’t lay hands on the formula old vet made up themselves.
Would it be worth asking your old vet for the recipe for the stuff that worked and getting your new vet to make it up for you?

newrider.com