Moan but I feel bad about it.....

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
ok so my yard manager is a total pain. I've accepted this and since we had it out at the beginning of the summer she has backed off me. She was trying to manage Kia and tell me what to do, now if she was more knowledgable I wouldn't mind her ideas but she is a wikipedia warrior.

Now we have had a few injuries at the yard this year, one she caused but that doesn't affect me and one where a mare picked a fight with a fence and lost spectacularly. This mare is in Kia's herd and she won't be out for the foreseeable. Another usually in Kia's herd is one of the YMs mares but she is only in Kia's herd at night then she goes in wth the other herd during the day, YM is fanatical about barefoot, so this leaves Kia in his field with another elderly mare. Now the mare has no teeth other than some incisors, she cannot eat anything that isn't grass or soaked feed. She cannot be left in the field by herself as she goes nuts but I cannot leave her in the stable for long periods of time as she cannot eat hay and she doesn't keep weight on.

So this morning I wanted to go get Kia in go for a little ride, then I wanted to scrub his feet and leave him in to dry his feet out before I pack them and reclip him later as I'm just going to take everything but his legs and half head off. But I cannot leave the mare in all day with nothing and I can't leave her out as she could hurt herself and she will run up and down and i wouldn't like her getting hurt.

I messaged the YM to ask where I could put the mare whilst Kia was in, got no response so my plans have went to crap. I don't mind helping out nor bringing a horse in and popping it a Haynet but I have been doing this for three weeks now, I have had to feed Kia in the field some days as I don't have the time to bring him and the mare in feed then turn back out as she is crippled on any surface but grass or a bed so takes ages to bring in and turn out. It's eating into my Kia time and as the winter progresses and i return to work full time I just won't have the time to be pandering to someone else's horse.

I feel bad about this but I want to spend time with my horse not running about and not being able to do what I want with my horse.

As harsh as it sounds, the elderly mare isn't really your problem, I would politely ask that she leave her other one in your field so that you can take Kia away at any time without it causing an issue. Given YO's mare is already out there at night it doesn't seem a stretch to either swap her to being there during the day or full time to alleviate the problem :)

I am going to speak to the YM but as I said she is barefoot fanatical to the point her horses feeds are more supplement than feed and she doesn't like her mare in my field In summer as it has too much grass but she wants her there in winter because it has grass for longer :rolleyes:

Im honestly frustrated with this, the mares owner is nice and checked Kia for me daily when I was on holiday ( he was in the same field so she ran an eye over him) but it's getting to me that I'm having to base what I want to do around someone else's horse

YO could put her mare in your field in the day though rather than at night, I don't think its unfair to be expect to be able to do your horse when it suits you.

Reactions: MrC
She could, I'm hoping she will, but chances are she won't, :(

The other gelding got moved across the road even though his owner wanted him in Kia's herd. Argh it's giving me a headache

Hope you get something sorted soon, sounds like a tough situation.

If you get on with the elderly mares owner, could you have a chat with her and get her on board to also request that her mare isn't brought in so much and that another horse in the herd would help :p

That is a difficult situation, however, if you are on livery it's not your problem but the YO's.
You need to get together with the owner of the mare to see what would suit you both best, and then approach the YO together.

YM wasn't about so couldn't speak to her, I didn't get to ride or clip him today :( I've decided I'll let this clip grow in then take the whole lot off in the new year. I had have liked to have gone for a hack though was a nice day for nearly winter in Scotland :)

To me it's not the yo that's the issue, it's the owner of the mare. Unfortunately, her horse, her problem. I'd be speaking to her and telling her what the problem is and get her to solve it with the yo. You shouldn't have to take care of someone else's horse like this, if it's to the detriment of your own horse's care. We all have to fight for our own.
It's lovely you're mindful of her, but she needs to be responsible for the behavioural issues of her own horse

Reactions: MrC and Jessey
Eh, sorry but someone else's horse won't stop me doing stuff with mine.
If the mare gets upset, it's up to the YO to make sure there are three in the field, or move the elderly mare in with hers.

Think on it this way. You book a vet to do a visit, do you cancel your jabs due to someone else's horse?

As an aside the elderly mare sounds like she's almost at her time. Not keeping weight on could be because she actually can't chew the grass either.

I ended up having to bring Kia in to get his feet and feed done and in the 15mins it took me to get him in and catch the young mare and move her over she had worked herself up and was screaming whilst pacing up and down the fence line and working herself up.

I had to leave him in for his feet to dry so I could pack them and the old monster has decided to be fussy so he got th feed left there which he eventually ate.

I don't want to be at odds with folk but it's a DIY livery yard after all and as much as I won't se a horse upset or alone I can't keep doing this

newrider.com