Molly..amputee pony!

Abserd

Apr 12, 2007
West Yorks
www.backlanestables.co.uk
I was sent this from the states via an equine forum...never seen anything like this, amazing !! :)

Molly.jpg

"Meet Molly. She's a gray speckled pony who was abandoned by her owners when Katrina hit southern Louisiana, USA . She spent weeks on her own before finally being rescued and taken to a farm where abandoned animals were stockpiled. While there, she was attacked by a pit bull terrier, and almost died. Her gnawed right front leg became infected and her vet went to LSU for help. But LSU was overwhelmed, and this pony was a welfare case. You know how that goes.

But after surgeon Rustin Moore met Molly, he changed his mind. He saw how the pony was careful to lie down on different sides so she didn't seem to get sores, and how she allowed people to handle her. She protected her injured leg. She constantly shifted her weight, and didn't overload her good leg. She was a smart pony with a serious survival ethic.

Moore agreed to remove her leg below the knee and a temporary artificial limb was built. Molly walked out of the clinic and her story really begins there.

"This was the right horse and the right owner," Moore insists.
Molly happened to be a one-in-a-million patient. She's tough as nails, but sweet, and she was willing to cope with pain. She made it obvious she understood (that) she was in trouble. The other important factor, according to Moore , is having a truly committed and compliant owner who is dedicated to providing the daily care required over the lifetime of the horse.

Molly's story turns into a parable for life in post-Katrina Louisiana . The little pony gained weight, her mane felt a comb. A human prosthesis designer built her a leg.

The prosthetic has given Molly a whole new life, Allison Barca DVM, Molly's regular vet, reports.
And she asks for it! She will put her little limb out, and come to you and let you know that she wants you to put it on. Sometimes she wants you to take it off too." And sometimes, Molly gets away from Barca. "It can be pretty bad when you can't catch a three-legged horse", she laughs.

Most important of all, Molly has a job now. Kay, the rescue farm owner, started taking Molly to shelters, hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers. Anywhere she thought that people needed hope. Wherever Molly went, she showed people her pluck. She inspired people. And she had a good time doing it.

"It's obvious to me that Molly had a bigger role to play in life", Moore said, "She survived the hurricane, she survived a horrible injury, and now she is giving hope to others."
"She's not back to normal," Barca concluded, "but she's going to be better. To me, she could be a symbol for New Orleans itself."

Molly2.jpg

Molly3.jpg

This is Molly's most recent prosthesis. The bottom photo shows the ground surface that she stands on, which has a smiley face embossed in it. Wherever Molly goes, she leaves a smiley hoof print behind!"

I'm choked I was so moved reading that what a fantastic Horse and vet!

Mel xx:D

Amazing story (I assume it's true!) Bless the little mare!

I always wonder what the hell I'd do if something like a hurricane or big disaster happened. Total nightmare for all the poor people and animals. Nearest thing for us was a freight train catching fire (train track runs through the fields!!) and the train had petrol tankers on! It stopped and stood burning....about 200 metres from our stables!!!! We were woken up by the Police and evacuated in the middle of the night, and told we couldn't take anything with us! But we came back in the dark to care for the horses! Thankfully everyone was OK, the only 'casualties' being a lot of electric fence tape, lots of plastic posts and some of our post and rail - the fire-brigade cut through it to get to the fire!

And we gained a railway carriage which 'exploded' its way onto its roof in our field!!

Anyway, back to something more O/T....

Does anyone here remember a story, I remember seeing in the UK Newspaper Daily Mail must have been about 5 or 6 years ago, about a lady (I think in the UK, possibly USA) who's horse broke his fetlock (as far as I recall) and she refused to have him PTS. She took out loans for thousands and thousands of ££ and the horse had an artificial fetlock joint and ran around like a 'normal' horse! I think the lady was a nurse, and knew it could be done. Anyone else recall this?? I swear I read it!

Amazing story about the little American mare - if true, what a fantastic veterinary accomplishment!!

K

Fantastic! There was a story a while ago about a rescued donk with an artificial back leg - the vid showed it hoolieing around a field bucking and kicking!

Erm.....So you did, Lauren Eff!!:) :eek::confused::eek: Sorry I missed it the first time round!!:eek:

Don't know why I missed that!! Probably due to my web connection being hopeless and missing lots of stuff on the www!!

Sometimes this link goes down and I can only access one or two posts a day...!!!! Nightmare for NR addict like me!

Great story!!

A bit sceptical actually, surely the mare cannot gallop about with this on as surely the pressure would cause sores? I dont think id ever consider this for one of my horses, id rather they were put down.

Frankly, I wouldn't consider doing this: the boy's broken leg either heals or I'd PTS. He's currently on 24/7 box rest (for 4 months, groan) but I don't think I'd call this 'quality of life'. Sorry.:(

I think it would depend on the horse / pony. One of mine does not know how to gallop and is just the most laid back happy chappy ever but the other two would not cope with this!:)

It's clearly more realistic for a pony in an environment where cuddles and treats constitute quality of life. For a larger horse it would be more difficult, not only because of temperament or perhaps a greater need to cover more ground, but I'm also not sure it's physically possible to have a fake leg that could safely keep a larger horse stable without their weight causing massive sores.

I wouldn't do it for any of mine, but the fact that is it possible is amazing in itself!

Yeah, its true!
Dont be skeptical, in a magazine i read, the manager went and saw her and took photos!
I think its very sweet on the owner & vets half to have given Molly a second chance!

newrider.com