Molly died today

I am so very sorry D&T. IMO you made absolutely the right call and it might be painful for you to deal with, but was the very best decision for Molly. That is the mark of a responsible and truly caring owner, putting what is best for them before what is best for us.:twins: x Run free Molly.

^^^^^this with knobs on. I have been there with other animals when all you want to do is keep them alive SOMEHOW but looking back I should have put them before my own feelings. You did the best thing for her - be proud.

Xxx

So sad, but I'm sure Molly would be pleased you allowed her dignity and peace at the end, and the others the opportunity to get their heads round it. Hugs x

Oh gosh, how did I miss this?

I'm so sorry. I've always found it hard watching how the dynamics among the remaining animal change when we lose one.

Sorry - only just caught up with this. Hugs and solace. PLEASE don't beat yourself up. You did the right thing by an old loyal friend.

I'm sure the herd will adjust and reshape, given time. It's nature.

Awful for you, and them. You'll get through it...

Rose is very quiet and sad today, I will have to think about moving stables around as she is in the big corner box, then Molly next to her, then Leo. I may move Mr T next to her as he is affable and friendly and sleeps a lot so he won't annoy her like Leo would with constant chit chat - he and Fleurette are next to each other and they are the best combination....

She is in the field with everyone but alone as well, it's very sad. She is a bit of a stand offish mare, but she and Molly were always together and mutual grooming or dozing, she doesn't like Fleurette, and Leo is the only other one she has any relationship with. She will stay with the donkeys, and Mr T grooms her, but she doesn't relate to the other three.

And no I am not getting another one. I got Rose as a companion for Molly when she broke her splint bone, and was going to be on box rest and needed a mate. With Rose's attempt at suicide by poisoning, I always thought she would go first as Molly was so healthy and strong and looked a picture.

At least the post mortem report confirmed I made the right call but I am haunted by what I could have done to prevent it.

Rose came in and was with the donkeys, the three comtois out in the field, she was sad.

I even looked at a few horses on Preloved, including one fairly close. Have put Mr T next to her tonight to see if he can cheer her up though he is probably just snoring loudly.

well I have been totally bonkers but I have gone and bought a horse as companion for Rose and for me to ride till Suze gets ready.

Went to see her last night as she isn't that far away, well an hour, which in horse hunting terms is nothing.

She is 15, a bit of a plod, around 15.2-16hh so bigger than wanted but so what, irish draft x possibly tb, unfit, had a hard winter and will look better by end of summer. I got on and rode, first time in many years, walked and trotted, she has basic training and trots on a nice contact and stops if you ask. Feet are sore on gravel so hard to really judge her, but she was pulled out the field, saddled, ridden, and didn't bat an eye, she has not been ridden in a while and has no top line at all so she looks poor. When we drove up and saw her in the field my instinct was turn around as she looked so old but up close she is quite a nice mare, plain, not flashy, would never turn a head.

She is very quiet and sweet, bit of a sad sale. I think she will do ok, just to poodle around the lanes, she doesn't react to anything in terms of shying, she just goes at her own speed and gets on with it. I rode her around loads of hazards and she sleep walked her way past them, didn't react at all. She trotted when asked, walked when asked, and was beginning to go on the bit nicely and round a little. She is very rusty and unfit/weak but she wasn't out of puff so she is basically ok.

She will take the pressure off Suze to get ready this year and get me back in the saddle and fit, first time I have sat on a horse since 2006/7.....so felt pretty brave that I was willing to try her. She did listen to what I asked, and she seems very kind and gentle, her owner loves her and it is a sad sale.

There were other folks coming to see her over the weekend so case of make your mind up. I will get a vet to look at her for a quick check, nothing drastic, and hopefully get her over here asap as I have farrier and dentist coming so good to get her done with the rest.

If Molly hadn't died, I would not have bought her. Molly wouldn't mind, we had many a happy hour on the south downs before she got ill and gave up hacking and working. I still wish Molly was here, but she had a good life, long retirement, and never wanted for anything, I remember buying her a new rug, a high neck tredstep one which cost the earth and fitted her so well and she was so happy in it.

The little mare isn't a rescue as such but she certainly could do with a bit of tlc and I hope I can have a bit of fun with her.

A year since silly mad but much loved Molly left us so suddenly.

Today, we are having fencing done, so I have had to put the herd out into the field where she died, onto the same nice new grass.

Nothing else to do, as folks may leave gates open, fences will be down and this is my only secure field.

How do I feel? Terrified that history will repeat itself.

newrider.com