Molly, the best dog

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I am just about to take Molly for her final visit to the vet.

Today she has been cheerful and drinking, but she won't eat, and whatever she drinks she throws up. I have tempted her with everything known to man and dog and she's having none of it.

This morning she was bright and happy, hunting for mice in the frosty grass. This afternoon she is weaker, and it feels just wrong to keep her going artificially while she starves. Steve agrees (though he wept and wept).

She has been the finest, the bravest, the toughest, just the best dog anyone could ever want. She was my first dog, and she will always be my best and only Molly.

I don't believe in an afterlife alas, but if there is one, for sure she will be waiting for me, wagging her tail and laughing just before she lies full length in a muddy puddle.

Here's my favourite picture of her, 2 years old, broad chested, strong, full of life. My wonderful girl Molly.
Strongmolly.JPG

My heart goes out to you. She is truly a beautiful girl...deep down I don't believe in an afterlife either but we can hope there is something out there and we will see our much loved ones (humans and animals) again someday :)

Thanks for being a good ambassador for dogs and bringing your humans so much joy, Molly.

Thinking of you. Xx

I am so sorry Jane - your update this morning showed this was the best for her. We all know you gave her a lovely life. And some pleasure at the end of it.

Just saw your FB post and dashed here to send you sympathy and hugs. RIP Molly-dog xxxc

So very sorry to read this Jane - I am certain this was the correct and kindest decision you could make for her. RIP and run free Molly :( x

It's the hardest, but kindest decision we have to make isn't it?
I broke my heart each time I've had to let a dog go. But if you know you've given them the best possible life and they have rewarded you with unconditional love, then you know when it's the best time for them to go.
Look after yourselves xxxx

She was as wonderful at the vet as anyone who knew her would expect. Wagged her tail at everyone, lay down cheerfully, and spent her last moments razzing her bandage and pulling out the stuffing. Dear, dearest dog.

Last edited:
Deepest sympathy, she sounds such a lovely dog. I'm glad her ending was cheerful and stress free. RIP Molly, no more suffering for you. Hope you're ok Jane x

Rudyard Kipling said it all:

THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find - it's your own affair, -
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!),
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear!

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent,
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve;
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long -
So why in - Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Oh Jane that is a beautiful poem. I have tears in my eyes. My heart is really breaking for you cause I know the pain and loss and it is great. I have had dogs all my life but about 10 years ago I had to get my very speshul dog pts and I swore I would never get another as I couldn't bare the loss. Now here I am sitting with the most beautiful pup lying at my feet and I am already dreading the day I will have to say farewell to him.

So sorry @Jane&Ziggy what a beautiful dog. Such a hard decision to make but at least she is no longer suffering which would of been so much worse. RIP Molly.

having lost my final springer only weeks ago I know the feeling so well.

I have refused to cry much and have just spent my time remembering the joy he gave me in his long 14 years.

I hope you are OK

newrider.com