Moody Mare, Stroppy Mare, Oestress

SarahC

Jul 13, 2004
East Midlands
Visit site
Hi guys,

A lady at our stables is going to put her mare on one of the above soon as her mare suffers terribly pre and during her season (she does become a devil woman...horse not owner that is!). I also may give it a go if my girl suffers, although I have yet to experience her seasons so will have to wait and see (tho I have been told by previous owner that she can be extremely mareish during her seasons!). Anyway, as neither of us have any experience of these supplements, have only heard of them, I told her I'd ask the lovely knowledgeable people on NR for their recommendations/experiences!! :D Her horse becomes quite nasty tempered and 'mareish' during her seasons and is also alot more fizzy and spooky to ride.

So I was just wondering if anyone has a preference to the three I've mentioned or any specific experience of how well they do or don't work?

Of if anyone has experience of another?

Thanks
S

ps. They are Wendals, Dodson & Horrel and NAF..in that order

NAFF Oestress is excellent.

Used it on one of my old mares, and people I've known have used it before, only one I've heard that really works.

Wendals Moody Mare gets my vote every time. my mare has been on it for about 7 years now and it really does work, and what i love about it is its all natural herbs, not nasty chemicals.

Thanks for that...one vote each for Moody Mare and Oestress then. I'll let the lady at our yard know. Guess it can a bit of trial and error as to which works for your horse, but always best to start with recommendations I think!

Thanks again.

S

Ellie is on day 6 of her first course of Oestress so ive not seen any results yet. I asked around for opinions on different supplements and heard the most good things about Oestress.

i used oestress on my mare - she really was an old bag - biting and kicking.

Have you tried any therapies? I had bowen therapy - didn't make much diffence, i've since trained in sports massage and whilst i can't prove it (& this time of year will be the true test) - i've got a completely different mare - she's an absolute babe - still top dog with the other horses but not difficult to deal with like she had been previously.

Hi Murphs...so how did your mare go on Oestress??

I don't think the lady at our yard has tried any other therapies...I think this was her first line..to see what, if any, effect a supplement might have. I haven't tried anything at all as I'm yet to see my mares season, but I have been warned by previous owner!! And she's a right moody so and so when she's not in season!!
I've been looking at flower remedies (initially for use on myself for nerves!) and might be suggesting some of those to her to try.
Flower Remedies This website has some really useful info on the use of flower remedies in animals.

S

bach flower remedies might help calm her a little. i used to feed it to toby when he was a baby and having tantrums!!!

Hi sarah - she was much better. My vet actually siggested i use it - i got him to come and check her over to make sure nothing untoward was causing her agression- everything was fine so he said try oestress as another client had found it worked well - if that didn't work then they can go on regumate which the vet prescribes , it's very expensive, but stops their seasons altogether.

good luck and let us know how you get on

Thanks murphs..I'm going to print this all out so that the lady at the yard can make her decision. As for me, well, I'll wait until Spangle gets her first season and go from there. She's a moody so-and-so anyway, so will have to see if she gets any worse during the summer months I guess!!

Thanks again everyone.

S

Moody mare

Hi there, my mare too is having a difficult season, she jumps from her field to be with the boys, this has been going on for about 5 months now. I tried the oestress stuff and with a combination of moving her to a quiter stable and oestress she did show signs of calming down, until now. At the weekend she and her mate were inseperable, she was very aggressive towards anyone who tried to seperate them, kicking out and running off. We finally got her in, and now she is in a seperate field for a couple of days to try and break her jumping habit. (Fingers crossed everyone). This doesn't help me as i am a nervous owner/rider at the best of times so i'm very nervous about everything i do with her at the mo.

Will keep you informed of our progress. :eek:

Hi tracy,

I read your post about your mare....sounds pretty scarey stuff!

I've told my friend at the yard about what people said on here about the supplements...she thinks she's going to try Oestress as a first step.

As for me...well as my girl is a moody so and so when she's not in season, so maybe the hormone supplements won't work. But I'm thinking of trying her on some flower remedies to help with her agression towards other horses. Will have to see how her first season goes aswell I guess!!

Keep us posted about your progress.

S

newrider.com