More straw

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Not breaking camel's back this time but getting donkeys to eat it.

Murph and Krug need to lose weight. According to the donkey society weight tape, they are not overweight in terms of kg but they have put on a bit so we have tried low cal haylage - which they love - zero chaff - which they don't love - and now straw.

Interesting reactions. First night left a section of straw next to Krug's feeding box, which had some low cal haylage in it. Next morning exactly where I left it. Murph on the other hand decided to carpet his stable with his straw then poo on it, mix it all up like a Jackson Pollock canvas. At £5 a small bale this is not helpful.

During the day, Krug nibbled it from a haynet. Murph continued to have a face like fury.

Second night, put straw in haybox - Krug picked out the haylage and left the straw. Murphy did a minor paint job of the stables but probably ate about half. And this time he didn't waste any of it by pooing on it, so netted it up and it is hanging in the yard for breakfast.

Aimee who does not need to lose weight at all, if anything would like her to gain, eats it like she loves it. Tintin went in and ate up Krug's straw.

So we will see if they eat it from nets or not. We had abandoned nets as Tintin the klutz was always putting a foot through them and you had to untruss him in the morning.....

Reactions: Huggy
My horses refuse to eat hay if there is the option of haylage, and even for a few days after they haylage has been taken away, I'd persevere for a bit longer, hopefully they will get a taste for it soon enough :)

they are eating it on the yard this morning, Aimee really likes it....but she is the skinny 30 year old who doesn't need to diet. Murph is militant, have evicted him from the feed store, six stables so far today, everything now locked up, kickover bolts in place as he can undo ordinary bolts. He is a one donkey stealth mission spends all his time removing the rubber mats from stables and leaving them everywhere.

they are eating it on the yard this morning, Aimee really likes it....but she is the skinny 30 year old who doesn't need to diet. Murph is militant, have evicted him from the feed store, six stables so far today, everything now locked up, kickover bolts in place as he can undo ordinary bolts. He is a one donkey stealth mission spends all his time removing the rubber mats from stables and leaving them everywhere.
:D He sounds hilarious, unless you are in a hurry then I bet it's a little tiresome :D

newrider.com