More traveller problems...

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
This time their horses.

On my way to the yard I pass their 4 horses tethered and recently they keep getting loose (perhaps because of rain and soft ground) I always catch them and tie them to a tree or some railings because they are tethered on the central reservation of a dual carriageway!!

This morning I had to catch one the was right on the kerb of the road and another who was running wildly about with his tether chasing him. They are very nervous so it's not easy to catch them and tie them up again.

Since this is the fifth time I've caught them in a month I have now contacted council and police because in my opinion a loose horse right next to a busy carriageway with no fence is a huge accident waiting to happen. Let's see if I even get a response.

Definitely an accident waiting to happen!! Hope you get a positive response.

Reactions: MrA
I totally agree with you, but I just want to say, with the upmost respect, if you keep correcting the dangerous situation before the police can see it then you are actually preventing them from taking action, they can only easily intervene (remove the horses) in a situation that is dangerous, not one that has the potential to become dangerous sadly.
I had it with someone with a pony locked in, alone, with no food, water or mucking out. The very nice inspector I called out told me to stop helping (giving hay and water) as I was actually preventing him from doing his job :(

Reactions: MrA
Thanks @Jessey it's so hard to just leave them. I mean if they ran onto the road and hurt someone before the police got there I would feel awful. Next time it happens I will ring 101 or 999 if they are on the carriageway.

I would probably call the police and tell them they are loose then catch them and when the police arrive hand it over and say you just managed to catch it ;) or if its not a busy time just keep and eye on the situation until they arrive, its so bloody hard though

Reactions: Trewsers
Thanks okay I will bear that in mind for when it happens again. One of them is so sweet he's only a little Shetland and once I've caught him he's a real sweetie. The others are 15hh trotters so not as easy to hold onto when they are all worked up!

I ended up tying them to trees and railings, at the least the gypsies should realise they got loose as they had moved from where they left them.

Reactions: Jessey
Sounds like a nightmare! We don't have any round here but they sometimes come through the town take over a car park and cause mayhem for a week then move off. The law only seems to apply to the law abiding unfortunately! Defiantly an accident waiting to happen, call the police, it shouldn't be your responsibility although I couldn't leave them either.

I understand that with horses and children too, one instinctively intervenes. But I would not do anything Ale except tell the police. I would note the time and follow up with an email. So there is a written record. Take a photo too if one is on the kerb.
I hate driving the A3 from Chessington south wards but I grew up in that part of Surrey and my father drove us up the a3 to visit his mum as soon as petrol was there. I can tell you that there have been horses there for more than 70 years. That herd probably know the rules. Horses will stay on the grass and stay together.
Same with deer. Unless they are spooked or moving to another location they do not cross busy roads.
However if one pony did rush onto the carriageway and you had tethered it, the travellers could blame you for any accident. It could also be alleged that you had tied up a horse even tho you had not. I have had relatives in Surrey local government and your local council will be familiar with the situation. E mail your local councillor about your concerns but don't put yourself in an uncertain position. These horses do not belong to you and are not your responsibility .

Thank-you @Skib

The police contacted me very quickly about the situation. They told me that if the horses are on or close to the carriageway to ring 999

If they are not they said they would appreciate me catching them and letting them know via 101. They said they were aware of the situation as they have been called out a few times to move them off the carriageway. They are going to send a highway agency team to see if they can make the situation safer.

Sadly the horses often wander onto the carriageway, they are not a herd and they seem to change their horses every 6 months anyway. I do believe it's an accident waiting to happen, some horses got loose onto the A3 recently and caused a huge accident.

If the Police told you or asked you to catch and tether them, that is a different matter. But for your own safety make a note of the name and number of the police person who told you to. It isnt a good situation for you.

newrider.com