Moulting yet

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Billy has started to moult. Its not much but a few hair were coming out when i groomed over the weekend. I expect it will stop if it gets colder. He started this time last year if i recall but so did a few other peoples.

Billys getting so sweaty when i ride now. He was soaked underneath and dripping a couple of weeks go. Next day he was still damp underneath. So the last couple of weekends ive taken the scissors to his belly and scissored the hair off. It looks messy but needs must and its definitely made a difference, he has been dry the next day. Im going to be brave and after i ride tomorrow im going to shampoo him off, then thursday im going to attempt some clippers. Wish me luck on that one. I dont really care how bad it looks as i always have a hi viz sheet on when i ride, the rest of the time hes rugged, so no one will see it if he looks like hes beeen through a hedge. If i cant get a few clips off it will make a difference. i am fed up of washing him after every ride, more worried hes going to get a chill from washing him. But not washing is not an option as both boys developed rainscald under the saddle area from me previously not washing off the sweat.

Reactions: Jessey
Not yet but she will be within the next few weeks if she follows her normal pattern.
Good luck with the clippers @chunky monkey and who cares what they look like, so long as they are happy and comfortable :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Mine was clipped October.

They are more likely to get a chill if still sweaty than anything else. Taking off the belly might stop the saddle area getting too warm.

I rinsed her feathers today. Sometimes needs must. I don't want dumbells forming. Neither does she!

Umm well my clipping attempt didnt go to well. Lets just say i can hardly walk. After i got a barrel across both legs. Boy did he mean it.
I think we will have to do any clipping with the scissors as its the only thing he will tolerate.
I hope he does get on and moult now.

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers
No moulting for my lot yet. Have you tried old manual clippers? My old haffie wouldn't tolerate clippers but was OK with them and I could get a half decent job done

Just looked at pictures of manual ones. Im sure we had a pair years ago. Dont know what happened to them.
Wonder if you can still buy them. I get a blister very quickly on my thumb using the scissors.

newrider.com