Mounting Blocks

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
The bottom two are fine, but I dont like the open treads for safety reasons.

I have a big tree stump that I use, its moveable (just) and just one step, does not look out of place either....and was free:happy:

Yes I did wonder about the safety of the ones with open treads.

But which is better out of the one sided and 2 sided steps?

Yes I did wonder about the safety of the ones with open treads.

But which is better out of the one sided and 2 sided steps?

I like the two side step. It gives more oppertunity to get on having more steps!

IMO the double stepped one, as it has grips on for wet weather (edit to say maybe it does not looking again...)and looks nicer/well made, but not sure how heavy it would make it for moving, if indeed you plan to move it around.

So in short the third one:biggrin:

I like the idea of a tree stump!!!!!!!!!

I bought a round mounting block when my old one from Robinsons "died" on me! The one thing you have to remember is to grit it well in the winter, otherwise you can end up like I did slipping and clambering onto your poor horses back making her run off because she wonders what on earth you are actually doing up there.................!

Great timing for this post as was talking to No.2 Son last night about
him making something for us.

Think I would probably go for the double sided one as it just looks that
much more stable x But anything is an improvement on the GATE I use at the moment !

We have a home made one that is huge. To give you an idea when I'm stood on the top then all I don is swing my leg over the saddle and find my stirups when I'm on. Great for getting back off again as Joy parks next to it with not direction required from me and I all off her onto it!

It has two steps and the top platform. It is made from marine ply and has a metal frame (can't remember where that came from? The treads and top platform all have a covering of the gritty roofing felt you get. I've had it now for 4 years. In that time all I've had to do is replace the felt.

It's been sat outside the whole time. Due to it's size it isn't mobile and remains in place and everyone on the yard uses it. That said, I can move it from one place to another and have bought it home in the car to have the felt done but I am strong and it's really not built for that.

I leant it to flumpy for a while when she got Arnie and it inspired Mr Flump to build something similar out of railway sleepers and decking for their yard to flumpy with her mobilty and mounting challenges.

The one thing you have to remember is to grit it well in the winter, otherwise you can end up like I did slipping and clambering onto your poor horses back making her run off because she wonders what on earth you are actually doing up there.................!

This sounds like the voice of experience talking! :wink:

newrider.com