Mounting from the ground

bettyboo22

Apr 18, 2009
I am doing a handy pony class, in the gymkana at my RS. I can usually mount pretty well from the ground but I have been given a 14h pony for the gymkana. I attempted to mount from the ground last week and I couldn't. Does anyone know of anyway that I can practise getting on and off without the pony or stregnthen my leg muscles ?

God I'm not sure.. I always mount both of mine from the ground, I'm tall 5'11 but they are both 16.3, trying to think how I do it, tend to grab a bit of mane, 3 bounces on right foot then pull myself up, as soon as high enough, let left foot take the weight... don't know of any exercises... just lots of practise!

Jump more! Just kidding :rolleyes:

Keep practising, get someone to hold your other stirrup, spend some time doing leg crouches maybe? (stand upright with your legs slightly apart and keep your back as straight as possible, and begin to bend your legs, keeping your heals down).

xxx

yep practice is the only answer really. i'm same height and can only managed hauling this blubber onto a 15.2hh, with the saddle slipping a bit or RI hold the other stirrup:rolleyes: its not exactly a graceful way of getting on but i feel like i'm cheating using the moutning block as its not exactly high up:eek:

it simply takes time you'll get there eventually:)

I might go wandering through the sheep fields behind my house to find a gate then :D. Thanks for wishing me good luck

I have problems mounting daphi from the ground. shes 16.1hh so quite big, the trouble is she walks off before ive got on, so find it more or less impossible. but i read it wasnt good for the horses back mounting from the ground so now NEVER try. i have a mounting block now!

try letting stirrups down one hole or so. not so much that you cannot ride with them but that bit lower to be able to mount. I always mount from ground cos I get the skittish ones who wont stand still long enough next to a block!

its not exactly a graceful way of getting on but i feel like i'm cheating using the moutning block as its not exactly high up:eek:

:) Again Practice. However i wouldn't personally advice mounting from the ground all the time. If you can vault on, great. If not you are putting a lot of un-necessary strain on youur horses back which can cause many problems. So Natalie I personally don't think it's cheating at all, just helping your self and in a way your horse. - Thats just my opinion tho :)
'SillySkewbald x

At the rs i go to we always use a mounting block because better for the horses back etc

However when i went treking last night i had to mount from the ground, it was only a 14.2 highland pony, i'm 5 ft 9ish but it was no easy task! Felt embarrased as i felt like a big stiffy and also felt sorry for the pony! That said it was a great trek, best fun i've had in ages.

I would use the mounting block like I normally do to keep strain off the pony's back, but like I said with it being a handy pony class I can't carry a mounting block round with me can I :p ?

newrider.com