Mounting from the ground

Mollypops

Nov 17, 2007
Help I cant get on from the ground on my mare (shes 17hh). I just havent got the spring in my legs. Anyone got any tips. Besides getting on a step or nearby wall.

I would always use a mounting block or get a leg up as you are likely to hurt her back getting on from the floor..

i mount from the floor onto my 17hh the only way to get better is practice, i never used to be able to do it but now i just hop on,

always get someone to hold the other stirrup and learn both sides

Going to try pilates classes to see if that helps. Ive even tried making stirrup leathers longer but nope doesnt help. I do mount from a block most of the time but am starting to hack her out and some of the paths have gates on which I would have to get off to do but only thing is I wouldnt be able to get back on.

I was thinking of putting martingale on maybe to grab hold of when mounting (she doesnt currently have one on).

You can buy a think on eBay called E-Z mount. worked for me! pops n the stirrup and makes it longer, then when your on pop it out again

i have NEVER considerd trying to mount my 17hh mare from the ground - there is always a gate/ditch/big rock/hay bale/bucket somewhere - i even mounted her once from the bonnet of a very helpful passers by 4x4 - at my age i just see vaulting on horses [ like smooth skin & an ability to stay up beyond 11pm] as something that belongs in the land of the young:D

i have NEVER considerd trying to mount my 17hh mare from the ground - there is always a gate/ditch/big rock/hay bale/bucket somewhere - i even mounted her once from the bonnet of a very helpful passers by 4x4 - at my age i just see vaulting on horses [ like smooth skin & an ability to stay up beyond 11pm] as something that belongs in the land of the young:D

I never normally get on from the floor but decided that I should have a little practise in case one day we were in a situation where it was needed (say if I fell off out hacking) I didn't want to find that I couldn't do it :p. So I had a go, lengthened my stirrup as long as it would go, hoiked my leg up with a lot of huffing and puffing, tried to hop up, failed terribly and ended up flopping back on the floor.

And I'm 5'11''

And my horse is 15.2hh

And I'm 17

Oh dear :eek:.

Hilarious! You make me laugh every time!

If someone asked to get on via my bonnet, I'm afraid they would get a big NO! Scratch my car? Tough, mate, find a gate!

both my RSs make you mount from a block, as apart from it being bad for the horses back, it damages the saddle (over a period of time)

I tend to use gates or fences to mount if possible but I can actually mount my horse from the ground, he’s 16.1hh (I think, must measure him properly!) and I’m 5ft 8.

Also though when I mount him off a block I tend to put my leg straight over the other side and hop gently on as opposed to putting my foot in the stirrup, that way it doesn’t matter if he doesn’t stand totally still or he tries to walk off as I’m already over him, plus there is no pulling motion to the left which is important as he’s only young and we’re building muscle.

newrider.com