Mounting from the off-side.....

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
..... ever done it? I hadn't for many years but I had to as one of my tasks at the Intro to TREC day on Saturday. I tried it in the practise sesh and whilst I scarcely give mounting the "normal" way a second thought, I really had to discipline my brain to swing my left leg over the saddle!!! I hesitated two or 3 times before I actually did it and it felt so weird! :p

Having said that, when I had to do it in my assessment, the second time was a doddle. Albi was a tad unnerved and he stands like a rock normally. Must practise!

Go on....give it a go.....

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I also had to do it in a trec training session and found it EXTREMELY difficult to work out what limbs to move in what direction, although in my defence I am very uncoordinated. Raf couldn't understand either and bless him kept swinging round to present himself at the 'correct' side. I vowed to practise, but needless to say I haven't lol.

Reactions: Trewsers and domane

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Yes I do both.
She stands either way at the mounting block, usually I face her in the direction I am heading, saves turning her. :)

It's an outdated reason to only mount on the near side. Makes us one sided.

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Never tried it. I suppose I should do really. I have had to dismount on the 'wrong' side before now when we got hooked up on a gate. That felt weird.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I used to more, haven't in a while though, I'm just on auto pilot when I get on/off so always do it from the left

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
I normally always mount from a mounting block/fence or get a leg up as I don't like pulling on their backs but if I'm out hacking and have to get off I'll alternate which side I get back on so my stirrups stretch evenly and I don't end up with one longer than the other. Not much harder as I'm not flexible either way :rolleyes: horses have never seem bothered by it.

Reactions: Trewsers

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Storm used to let me do it without any bother, but as I haven't done it in a while I think it might take some getting the hang of. Last time I tried it she was without saddle and in the arena and I was scrambling up via the fence.
I think it's quite a useful thing to be able to do.

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I mount from both sides and taught my youngsters to accept it on either side when backing them. Still feels odd though!

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
Strangest sensation! I used to do it all the time with B and it became quite easy. Only done it once or twice with B. He wasn't bothered but it took me ages to get on!

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
I did it years ago and mounted from the ground for Road Safety exams, Now can't mount at all without mammoth block but still could do either side!! As an aside I was not allowed to go trekking with a friend because of this, I suspect in case I fell off although I did say once on board I can cope with most things. A bit disappointed as I have recommended many nervous/novice riders over years to this place and they have had a great time.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
@eml can you get on using a gate? I would expect any trekking horse to line up and wait.

What puzzled me was if your mounting block was the same height as the stirrup, you are not meant to put your foot in, but swing over. During my exam I got given a pony and the block was too high, so I swung and passed.
No one explained the why.