Mounting problem...

ponylover88

Jul 12, 2004
Some might know that D managed to get me off a couple of weeks ago while mounting from the right side by taking off broncing.

Fast forward to today, and is was mounting from the left side, as normal, and she tried to take off again like before, back arched. I carried on mounting and asked for halt and she was as good as gold, once I was on. I *always* mount from a block, saddle isn't slipping or pulling that I can see... Loose rein contact (she backs up if you have rein contact on mounting).

Teeth have recently been checked (she's 4 so obviously still teething at times!) and saddle is only a couple of months old now and is treeless - no pressure points, it's not moving etc.

Why is she doing it?! How can I fix it? I don't always ride with someone there with me...

Before I tried fixing anything I'd get her back checked, it seems strange that she's suddenly started doing this.

Yes, check back and teeth, and also saddle (young horses change shape very swiftly) and girth. If she's suddenly started doing this, it's likely to be because something is uncomfortable. It could also be because she's in season.

Reactions: candyman
Ditto the above.
If all ok I wouldn't actually continue to get on. I would correct and remount. If you just carry on you are saying that's acceptable behaviour I can manage while you buck.

Mine does on occasion set off when I am partly over. I jump off and put her back where she was. It's rude.

Oh she didn't buck yesterday - she just tried to move off quite swiftly. It was only the first one that she did that where I mounted (or attempted to!) from the offside (right) rather than left side. I also didn't give her that much warning - she's usually very good it's easy to forget her age. This was two weeks ago. Since then she's been perfect standing stock still until asked to move.

The only thing that's changed is that I'm now mounting from a plastic polyjump mounting block (3 step one) which is less stable than the previous 2 step folding steps which is also much more moveable.

Teeth were checked only 3 weeks or so ago. So I can't imagine that would be the cause, but who knows. I'm not riding today as it's raining heavily and I don't want to risk ruining my saddle. I'll send my saddler a message and get her opinion, but she hasn't changed shape, and once on board, is absolutely fine (which she isn't when saddle doesn't fit - she bunny hops and gets very tight and stiff) as she's completely free and happy, striding out well, happy to move up paces and is relaxed.

@newforest what do you mean by you wouldn't continue to get on? She doesn't start to move til I'm more or less on board and it seems to be so infrequent. Gem walks on when I'm mounting, but it doesn't bother me as she's now old and I'm confident it won't be the start of anything worse (she's been doing the same for 9 years without changing!), I just want D to behave!

She may have just scared herself from the previous incident so is now wary of you getting on, just because she associates it with something that made her panic. She is only 4 and realising that the world is a very big place with a lot of scary things.

I would spend a session or two just mounting and dismounting, not intending to actually ride anywhere other than perhaps a couple of steps forward before you get off again. Break it down into processes, like standing on the mounting block, making a fuss of her, maybe feeding a treat or two, before getting off and walking her around to relax before presenting her at the block again and repeating. Watch her eyes, ears and body language for signs of discomfort so you can pinpoint which action it is that sets her off. If you mount at the same place, try moving her to somewhere else to see if this makes a difference too.

Thanks, I think I might try remounting from the old steps too to see whether it's just the new blocks I need to work with - they are bigger than the ones she's seen for the past year and not the most stable. Her breeder had some massive wooden ones which are amazing but just too tall for me - I'd be climbing down onto Gem!

I'm still going to get the physio out etc to check and have a chat with the saddler. I'm hoping it's just excitement at going out as it was aimed out the yard as if we were hacking (we were) - we have another gate from the yard into the menage in the other direction.

Your op said she tried to take off with her back arched, that's where I discontinue getting on until a horse can stand still.

You could use to stand on to groom as oppose to getting on. I did that a lot. I have a step that I use to plait, but I use it to get onto the mounting block as its high.

She did arch her back yes, but managed to curb it once on and she stood while I did stirrups/girth after. I think standing on there to groom etc might be a good idea.
This is the difference in mounting blocks - middle step on purple steps
DB67E57A-92F7-4B83-BBB7-4AFD10D00CD6_zpshjzeqftj.jpg

I like those pink ones. :)
Maybe it's actually the colour. They do see them different. Mine looks at reds.

newrider.com