Mounting While Tied Up

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Would you ever mount a horse that was tied up? If the horse had a tendency to fidget or shift about, would you tie him up, then reach forward undo the headcollar and ride off?

No way, Id rather persevere with teaching to stand to mount. At worst Id rather have someone holding the horse then to have it tied up.

Yeah in Portugal there was a 12hh pony we used to do that with. He was fiendishly difficult to mount from the ground or a mounting block, even with someone holdhing his head, so we'd have him tied up with a headcollar over his bridle and then undo it when we were on board. He never pulled back or fidgeted when done this way, not dangerous with him, it would be more dangerous to try and get on him in the middle of the yard...

Hmmmm, can't say I have ever thought of doing that! Not sure how it would stop them fidgeting to be honest....they can still move around when tied up :unsure:

Mine prides herself for her Houdini antics - I tie her to her stable ring, come back 2 secs later to find the twine snapped and her looking smug, breaks out of her stable, breaks out of her field. It wouldn't work for us!

No, saw someone put a young child on a pony that was tied up, as they went to untie it decided to pull back, spooked and then threw child onto concrete floor only just missing wall and pony standing on as came back down, luckily no serious injuries but knocked childs confidence and pony was a little :poop: for quite a while afterwards, had never been a problem before.

Yeah in Portugal there was a 12hh pony we used to do that with. He was fiendishly difficult to mount from the ground or a mounting block, even with someone holdhing his head, so we'd have him tied up with a headcollar over his bridle and then undo it when we were on board. He never pulled back or fidgeted when done this way, not dangerous with him, it would be more dangerous to try and get on him in the middle of the yard...

I was going to say, I have done it once and it was when I went to Portugal :tongue: I think it would perhaps only work in certain situations with certain horses though and it is something I'd think very carefully about. If a safer alternative can be found I'd try that first.

I have mounted a horse that was tied up (to try a saddle) but I wouldn't do it as a regular thing. I did used to put my ex racers chest againt the post and rail fence to stop her moving whilst I got on, but didn;t tie her up.

That seems dangerous to me too.
Maybe you are more athletic than I am though. And if my horse freaks out she calms faster if she can move forward. Being tied up would make it way worse.
Plus I'd probably fall off when I lean forward to undo a headcollar and she started freaking out.
My ex-racer used to start walking the instant he thought you should be on. I was told on the track they sort of mount and move off so for the longest time I just adapted to it and got my ass in the saddle pronto.
Then I just worked with him on standing still and he does it my old lady way now.
With Minnie we worked for weeks on standing still at the block after her big scare at the trainers and even she got good at it again.
Overall though I still try to just get up there and in the saddle quickly.

I did it once when I had first bought flipo. I now feel ill at the thought, knowing how my horse can snap his leadrope if he panics.
I just wondered if the consensus was dangerous or not. Impractical I would have thought if you work alone and need to get on out on a hack, but in general my reaction now is no no no!! But I appreciate there may be situations where it happens - quirks that make it work like joosie. Wouldn't be suggesting it to anyone though.

Sorry, I am on a heavy horse fb group and it was someone who suggested it on there. I really notice the difference in the type of advice we offer on here compared with there. Im still trying to put my finger on what the difference is, but when I do, I'll be sure to bore you with a thread on it. Ta muchly x

Sounds dangerous and horse can still move to the side anyway.

The horse I have on trial did not want to stand still to be mounted at first but has learned that is what I expect of him now and he will stand nicely, he also used to try walk off once you got on but has stopped that now and will wait while I check girth and stirrups and only moves off when asked to.

So I'd advise the person to try and teach their horse ro stand still when mounted, otherwise apart from danger what would they do on a hack if had to get down or if they were in show or something you can't tie them up then.

No I wouldnt for the reasons said above.

Too many horse can spook or panic against the leadrope restraint for many reasons and when they freak out and pull they can feel the restraint and panic until rope snaps and they fall back from the sudden release which would be dangerous a rider could fall off and be fallen or stood on in their panic.

I also think if the horse is moving around or panicking it would be pretty hard to reach the headcollar and get if off safely??

I also think a vital part of manners, respect and your relationship is being to mount. If the horse has a fear of the mounting step etc this needs worked on no matter how long it takes and it can be done as I have seen horses do it and one recently was burying its rider mounting until the rider was understandably terrified and stopped riding it as badly injured on one occasion. This horse is now standing to be mounted because of groundwork overcoming its issues with help from a trainer. The rider is now mounting and walking and trotting happily around smiling from ear to ear.

Erm a child at our yard gets on the pony while he is tied up, then proceeds to put on his bridle (while still sitting on his back) then puts on his saddle while sitting on his bum.

Saint of a pony though, I don't think I would ever get on while a horse was tied up but I'm sure it depends on the horse.

Can some one enlighten me of the danger of a horse tied up with a bridle on under head collar and lead rope attached to baler twine that will break if horse spooks?

I have mounted like this many times in the absence of a handler in order to keep my horse still. For me it has been positive and worked well.

I used to do it all the time when I first got Evie:unsure:

Never, ever, under any circumstances. Would rather spend 23 hours a day training the horse to stand than do that. Extremely dangerous idea.:frown:

newrider.com