Moving on.....

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
It has been over 10 weeks since Ben left and I have found it very hard indeed. However, I have moved on from the crying every 5 minutes phase and while I am still left with a deep longing and sadness about losing him, I also found myself feeling really fat and stodgy by spending so much time in the house. Part of this is due to the family having COVID over the last 4 weeks, but I really miss the exercise and outdoor life that horse ownership brings.

I did attempt to share a horse immediately after he died, but I found that I didn't gel with that horse at all so I quickly gave up. A week or so ago, quite by chance, I saw an advert for a older mare looking for a sharer. I will call her Sally here (as she isn't mine). She had a kind face so I spoke with the owner and saw her yesterday. She seems very sweet and kind. She has some health issues (mild arthritis and COPD) and apparently is very food orientated and can be strong to lead at times, but I felt a good vibe from her. The yard seems friendly. It is quite run down but has a school and a field to ride in, plus good local hacking.

I have explained to the owner that I will need to take the ridden part very slowly and to expect me to really wobble when/if I decide to ride her. I know that I will compare her to Ben and feel a huge rush of sadness, and that if she does anything that Ben didn't do I will find it hard to adapt. I would want to keep to the school and the field for the foreseeable future (maybe forever) because it took me years to gain the confidence to hack out Ben and will have to start again with Sally. The owner said she was fine with that and that anything I can offer would be great.

Sally lives out in her own field (she can be a dominant mare around other horses) and won't be stabled, so in terms of yard duties I will just have to poo pick, put hay out and feed. She has a stable where I can tie up outside to groom etc. The owner seemed keen to have found an experienced adult to share as previously she has had teenagers who have let her down. I have asked to see the owner ride her next week so I can observe from the ground, and if that goes well I will suggest a trial period of a couple of weeks to see how it works out. Apparently Sally is 'very safe', but absolutely everyone says that about their horse, so I take it with a pinch of salt. She does walk out quite briskly on hacks which is something that I am not used to (Ben had the slowest walk in the world), but as I'm staying on the yard for the foreseeable future I don't have to worry about that until I am ready. My plan would be to get to know her on the ground, and then walk round the school. I'm not wanting any more than that right now. The owner assures me she is straightforward to ride in the school and has been well schooled in her younger days.

Days wise, the owner is happy for me to do whatever I want, so I have suggested 2 set days per week with the option of a weekend day if I don't have other plans. The yard is a good 30 mins drive from my house which is a disadvantage, but also it is nice to be somewhere completely new where I don't have memories of Ben everywhere. So, as long as Sally is sensible when her owner rides next week, I will agree to a 2 week trial and see how I get on.

That's great to hear, @Mary Poppins . There is certainly something about being outdoors that is good for you, though as I just went through the mud in slamming wind and rain to give hay I found myself wondering!

Let us know how you get on with Sally. What sort of a mare is she? Size, colour? It would be nice to be able to imagine her.

That's great to hear, @Mary Poppins . There is certainly something about being outdoors that is good for you, though as I just went through the mud in slamming wind and rain to give hay I found myself wondering!

Let us know how you get on with Sally. What sort of a mare is she? Size, colour? It would be nice to be able to imagine her.
She is 15.1hh, very dark bay I think - almost black but not quite. She actually looks quite similar to Ben in facial markings. She is cob x and quite heavy set. She is quite overweight and unfit, but that is one of the reasons her owner wants a sharer. I spent some time with her in the field and she was happy to be touched all over and seemed to enjoy being groomed. She was friendly and interested in me. She struck me as a 'nice person' and I got that vibe that I felt comfortable and wanted to be around her. I know I will struggle (at least initially) with riding her, but my hope is that we can build a relationship and enjoy being with each other. I really miss the bond that I had with Ben and I hope to be able to create some of that again with Sally.

Reactions: Huggy and MrC
I hope it works out for you @Mary Poppins and I'm glad you feel you can make this step now. The differences between Sally and Ben may make it easier for you to accept her for who she is, I certainly found that and I would actively focus on differences rather than similarities. But what worked for me may not for you. I'm wishing you all the luck in the world xx

Sounds good - as already said, the differences between Ben and Sally - that's a good thing, it's like when Joe died, Chloe arrived and she was absolutely totally different (apart from being a mare lol) and I was so glad for it. I hope it works out for you - please keep us posted.

I hope it works out for you @Mary Poppins and I'm glad you feel you can make this step now. The differences between Sally and Ben may make it easier for you to accept her for who she is, I certainly found that and I would actively focus on differences rather than similarities. But what worked for me may not for you. I'm wishing you all the luck in the world xx
Yes the differences worked for me - you could nt get more different than my two!

Reactions: Mary Poppins
Thank you everyone. It would be great if it worked out but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. As my husband keeps reminding me, sharing won't be forever but it would be great if it worked for the next year or so. I am focussing on my career and new job in 2022, but in the spring of 2023 things will have settled down, hopefully I will have grieved for Ben fully and will have saved some money so I will be looking to buy my own again. In the meantime, Sally will be the best groomed horse for miles around!

She sounds good.

Why do you think you will struggle to ride her? Might it help to go for a private lesson at a good riding school so you can establish your balance and confidence in walk on a well exercised horse before trying out one that is privately owned?

My experience with bonding is that it never replicates. It is a two way thing and 50% is the character of the horse. So if she liked you that is brilliant. None the less, the crunch time comes when one disagrees with the horse and needs to get one's own way which is (I think) is quite essential out hacking. I have now ridden three very opinionated mares.

2 weeks does not sound a long time to me. I have hacked Ella for 8 months since Covid lock down lifted and still havent worked out all the fine details. But for me, sharing Ella meant I did not buy one of my own. She is there. She is safe. I am told we are a good match.

She sounds good.

Why do you think you will struggle to ride her? Might it help to go for a private lesson at a good riding school so you can establish your balance and confidence in walk on a well exercised horse before trying out one that is privately owned?

My experience with bonding is that it never replicates. It is a two way thing and 50% is the character of the horse. So if she liked you that is brilliant. None the less, the crunch time comes when one disagrees with the horse and needs to get one's own way which is (I think) is quite essential out hacking. I have now ridden three very opinionated mares.

2 weeks does not sound a long time to me. I have hacked Ella for 8 months since Covid lock down lifted and still havent worked out all the fine details. But for me, sharing Ella meant I did not buy one of my own. She is there. She is safe. I am told we are a good match.
I will struggle to ride her because she isn't Ben. She won't feel like him, I won't have that connection and trust that was so important to me and I know that the second I sit on her all I want is to be back with Ben. I'm not scared to ride her in the sense that I think I will be in danger or that I won't cope, I have had literally thousands of riding lessons and I know how to ride. I'm just worried that I will just want to get off and not go near her again. That is what happened with the other share horse. I rode him 3 times and the 3rd and final time I sat on him I just felt absolutely nothing for him. I actually couldn't even look at him and wanted to get him in the field and leave the yard as quickly as I could.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having riding lessons and someone trying to tell me what to do. For me, connection with horses has very little to do with what many people would term 'proper' riding. I want to get on Sally and walk around so that I can feel her and connect emotionally. I don't want to do any schooling, dressage, jumping, hacking or any of that just yet. I just want to be able to feel a horse and try to mend my completely shattered heart.

She sounds good.

A two week trial is far more than many people get @Skib , owners understandably want a decision whether they're selling or loaning. I think an experienced horseman, which @Mary Poppins is, will quickly get a feel for a horse and while they won't know everything about it straight away they'll certainly know enough to decide if this is a horse they want to work with.

I get the feeling that the potential problem with riding is that no other horse is Ben, is that right @Mary Poppins? I can understand that, and it isn't something that will be fixed by lessons because it isn't really a riding issue. Maybe getting to know a different horse will change it though, that the wish to ride will be there again if it's with a new friend, and maybe not - does it really matter?

It's hard to start again. I had 8 years of not riding before I got Buddy. I wasn't even sure if i still had the bottle to ride. But I went to see him, and had a chat with him before the owners arrived and told him he was coming home with me and don't screw it up. I rode him in the school to check his brakes and steering then hacked him out for half an hour, just walking. Knew instantly that he was a good boy, and that he would be ok. Of course since then I have got to know him so well, but he was pretty much as I read him when I met him. I didn't actually really SEE him till the day after he arrived and i saw him out in the field and was gobsmacked that he was such a stunner. I was so anxious trying him as i hate riding in public. You may surprise yourself, i think you just have to be open minded and hope for the best. Rely on your instinct, it's not that you can't ride, and it may take time to build a relationship. When i was horse hunting before I bought Molly, all those years ago, I saw 60 horses, a lot of them i never even pulled out of the stable or sat on, they were just not my cup of tea, but then i had had a bad accident on the road and lost my confidence. You will find out a lot in two weeks.

A two week trial is far more than many people get @Skib , owners understandably want a decision whether they're selling or loaning. I think an experienced horseman, which @Mary Poppins is, will quickly get a feel for a horse and while they won't know everything about it straight away they'll certainly know enough to decide if this is a horse they want to work with.

I get the feeling that the potential problem with riding is that no other horse is Ben, is that right @Mary Poppins? I can understand that, and it isn't something that will be fixed by lessons because it isn't really a riding issue. Maybe getting to know a different horse will change it though, that the wish to ride will be there again if it's with a new friend, and maybe not - does it really matter?

The two week trial was my idea as I want to be sure that I really do want to share this horse before I agree to anything longer term. Two weeks is long enough for me to know if I want to carry on going into the winter.

Yes @carthorse you are absolutely right. It isn't a riding issue. I'm not scared to ride, I am just not sure if I want to. I guess it is a good thing that she is overweight and unfit right now as the walking will benefit both of us.

Reactions: carthorse
You will know pretty quickly if she is the one you want to ride. As I have said before I bought the wrong horse. I had no real feel that I wanted him. I bought because j thought I had to or i never would. I thought I was just looking for something I wouldn’t get again after my heart was shattered twice in such a short time. However as soon as I saw Robin I knew. I was desperate to get on him and within 2 mins decision had been made and I actually wondered how long I should ride for before it would be acceptable to say “yes please”. So I think you are doing the absolutely best thing with your plan. Robin has some of the same traits as Minto which is probably why I like him. But equally he is totally different and so I don’t compare them.

Sally sounds very sweet and just the ticket to keep you company for the next year or so, I really hope it works out for you @Mary Poppins.
I really understand your anticipation, since Jess went lame I have found it really hard to ride anything else, I enjoy it, but I'm not in love with it. I'm in no rush to get on Niko at all, most unlike me! I look forward to our future together I just hope he re-ignites my love for riding. I appreciate it's not the same as dealing with a loss, but I have been there too and it has its similarities.

Reactions: Huggy
I will struggle to ride her because she isn't Ben. She won't feel like him, I won't have that connection and trust that was so important to me and I know that the second I sit on her all I want is to be back with Ben. I'm not scared to ride her in the sense that I think I will be in danger or that I won't cope, I have had literally thousands of riding lessons and I know how to ride. I'm just worried that I will just want to get off and not go near her again. That is what happened with the other share horse. I rode him 3 times and the 3rd and final time I sat on him I just felt absolutely nothing for him. I actually couldn't even look at him and wanted to get him in the field and leave the yard as quickly as I could.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having riding lessons and someone trying to tell me what to do. For me, connection with horses has very little to do with what many people would term 'proper' riding. I want to get on Sally and walk around so that I can feel her and connect emotionally. I don't want to do any schooling, dressage, jumping, hacking or any of that just yet. I just want to be able to feel a horse and try to mend my completely shattered heart.

as much as you know that you wont. I’ve been riding other horses since Kia passed. I’ve got Zurich who is amazing and I go to a jump group once a week.

I had Kia for 18yrs. He was my soul, I miss him terribly especially at this time of year as it’s coming up to the date I let him go, I’m changing that sadness this year by finishing backing Faran in that date, giving myself something happy on such a sad day to change how I feel about it. I love Faran, he will never be a Kia but I love him for him.

Go ride another horse and help yourself heal. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies when it comes to grief ❤️

newrider.com