Moving pony lot's of questions!!

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
Due to something quite drastic occuring in my personal circumstances,I need to re-think how I keep my pony.

He is currently on DIY livery couple of miles from where I live,and has to come in every night in winter.Due to circumstances I will be struggling to get to the yard twice a day,and me and/or OH cannot guarantee being around at times he needs to come in and go out.Money will also be a factor.YO has offered to help,but not guaranteed to always be there themselves and can't really rely on this for various reasons,and this doesn't help me with costs of bedding and hay.

I have *hopefully* been offered a paddock about 2 mins walk from my house,which would save my bacon completey and mean I could keep my lad. (I had been considering loaning for the last couple of weeks as couldn't see any way around it).I would love to take this paddock,if it pans out,but there are a couple of downsides which I wanted some advice on.

The paddock is very low lying and almost on the marshes,not quite but almost.I have lived here all my life and do not recall seeing this paddock flood in previous years,but the grazing is 'marshy' looking (patches of marsh grass as I call it etc),does anyone else keep theirs on low lying flood prone grazing?? What problems do you find if so,and how do you manage them??
The up-side is that,half the paddock is up on a higher bank,so am hoping even if worst happens,can section him off on high bit,but as I have never kept a horse on land like this before just want to know if anything I need to be aware of.

He would have to live out 24/7,which I know he is going to hate:rolleyes: he really does love his stable,and has hated being out 24/7 even in summer. He is a fell pony though,so know he can cope.Am just going to make sure he has decent rugs,big bale hay in the field at all times in winter,and possibly a shelter in the future (has natural shelter for now).Am worried though that he will be miserable,tell me I'm being rediculous worrying about him please:eek:

Is there anything I should be considering with actually moving him,as an example do I need to worry about the different type of grazing,is it ok just to put him straight onto it:confused:

My other massive concern is that this paddock is very close to my housing estate,and do sometimes get kids riding their bikes there etc,not loads and not all the time,but am thinking a pony in the field might be a bit of a novelty (not many horses around my way),and might be an issue.There is a row of cottages right opposite though and was thinking of giving residents my phone number,so if they notice anything can call me and I can be there in two minutes,does this sound like a plan?? I was also wondering about putting some signs up,but not sure if that would actually draw attention or not?? The same for securing the entrance,was thinking of making it really secure and deterring people going in there,but again will that just make it worse and tempt them even more??
I don't really think for one minute that any of the kids would do anything nasty,and am more than happy to let them see him when I'm there,but am concerned about them feeding him (bites if hand fed),and trying something silly like getting on him.He can also get a bit bargy sometimes if food is involved and wouldn't want him scaring some poor kid trying to give him a polo.

I would not be able to keep anything on site either,which as I live not far isn't a massive issue.Just wondering though if anyone else has had this problem and did they cope?? Or did they find some way around it?? (some means of keeping stuff securely onsite,but without a proper shed or whatever??)

Sorry for long waffling post,just have many worries at the mo,and although this field would be a life saver I am a bit scared of moving out of my comfort zone,and just want to hear some views and see what I need to be prepared for.

Hope all is ok, what a shame, fingers crossed you get the field!

The paddock is very low lying and almost on the marshes,not quite but almost.I have lived here all my life and do not recall seeing this paddock flood in previous years,but the grazing is 'marshy' looking (patches of marsh grass as I call it etc),does anyone else keep theirs on low lying flood prone grazing?? What problems do you find if so,and how do you manage them??

I have never kept a horse on ground like this though a friend of mine does and does manage well. I guess if it is damp non stop you would have to be aware of thrush and his feet and keep a close eye that they are coping with those conditions, also I am sure my friend said the grass is a bit richer for her horse because of the nature of it, it did properly flood once too and 2 horses were trapped but swam to land!

The up-side is that,half the paddock is up on a higher bank,so am hoping even if worst happens,can section him off on high bit,but as I have never kept a horse on land like this before just want to know if anything I need to be aware of.

We normally know when it's getting bad so sure you can move him in time if you definitely have safe ground!

He would have to live out 24/7,which I know he is going to hate:rolleyes: he really does love his stable,and has hated being out 24/7 even in summer. He is a fell pony though,so know he can cope.Am just going to make sure he has decent rugs,big bale hay in the field at all times in winter,and possibly a shelter in the future (has natural shelter for now).Am worried though that he will be miserable,tell me I'm being rediculous worrying about him please:eek:

He is a native he will be fine! He might learn to like it you never know ;) A shelter would be good if you can but as long as their is natural shelter he will be fine, particularly if he is having ad lib hay - though do be careful with this as this was Lily's laminitis downfall ad lib haylage in the winter!

My other massive concern is that this paddock is very close to my housing estate,and do sometimes get kids riding their bikes there etc,not loads and not all the time,but am thinking a pony in the field might be a bit of a novelty (not many horses around my way),and might be an issue.There is a row of cottages right opposite though and was thinking of giving residents my phone number,so if they notice anything can call me and I can be there in two minutes,does this sound like a plan?? I was also wondering about putting some signs up,but not sure if that would actually draw attention or not?? The same for securing the entrance,was thinking of making it really secure and deterring people going in there,but again will that just make it worse and tempt them even more??

I think writing or knocking on the doors of the cottages opposite is a great idea, best to know your neighbours! I would certainly give it a go. I'd be a bit worried about the kids, my main concern was always someone just opening the gate so make sure it's padlocked securely. Also ensure you have insurance in case any one does enter and gets hurt and wants to sue you! Although a sign might attract it might also help as a warning so if a kid gets bitten you can point to the sign (and hope they can read) i.e. put a sign saying do not feed at the risk of losing your fingers, maybe a jokey sign would make people less likely to want to do the opposite?

I don't keep anything onsite that is valuable at my place I keep it all in my car and drive around with it, I think you'd be best keeping it at home, even if you got a shed you may just be attracting more attention for somebody to have a nose! Perhaps get a box like Janine had at the yard to keep grooming bits in, or even just a feed bin

I'm not going to be great for a reply but I'll try my best :)

Firstly, yes, I would give your number to the people across the road from the field and ask them if they see anything suspicious give you a call. Could you put up small signs on the wall saying 'horse bites' or something similar?? Or electric fencing along where the kids will pass(on the horses side, obviously, lol) so your horse can't reach over/they can't reach over to your horse.

As long as your pony has access to higher, dryer ground I don't think there should be a problem. Just keep a check on mudfever etc.

Could you maybe get a small shed like this to put a few stuff in?? It could hold a few essentials.

Something I once saw in a magazine was a rescue center (i think, can't remember details) and they had horses living rugless outdoors 24/7. They put straw down on the floor for the horses to lay on so they could sleep warm and dry, which i'm sure will work for a rugged horse (however, i did try with Ginny, and surprise surprise next morning there was no straw....hmmm, wonder where it all went:rolleyes:)

Good luck, I hope you get the field:)

my field isnt the best of grazing either, but it is only 5 mins walk away from my house so on the good side, its soo easy just to pop down at any time of the day or night! It too is surrounded by houses and im afraid people do walk up to the gate when u are grooming etc asking questions about silly things lol and i have caught people with huge bags of apples ready to unload on my pony so the gateway is sectioned completely off to avoid this.
i was worried initially about all the traffic as we are right on a bus route, but holly doesnt seem bothered and its nice to see her when you go past on the bus :D
with all the houses, fireworks were also a concern but everyone is really considerate.
at the end of the day, unless money was no object, i wouldnt change my little paddock for a posh livery yard any day of the week!
good luck with your decision x

ps, all the people have my telephone no and let me know what the ponies are getting up to and in fact i think they are safer there as most have security lights in their gardens and keep a look out.
As we are so close, i keep the saddle at home and either carry it down, or tack her up at my front door :) I have a big wooden, lockable box 4 all my other bits and pieces!

Tiggerthepony reply

Thanks for that hun,is reassuring to know that horse can be kept on land like this,although the swimming to land bit was scary:eek:

I had thought about the thrush thing,not much I can do about that is there,apart from be aware??

Thanks for the tip about the hay thing and Lilly,never thought about lammi being a risk in the winter,and he is just the type to be prone unfortunately.It will be hay rather than haylage,and was thinking of getting a huge round bale and just plonking in the field,but only in proper winter,(just thought as he was out 24/7 and grazing might get boggy would be nice for him) do you think I should just give a certain amount instead then??

Good idea about the sign,don't really want to come across too strong,but thought might be an idea to have something there just to warn them off coming in the paddock or messing around with him.He is insured up to the hilt don't worry.Am I making myself liable by putting up signs warning people off or am I entitled as in private land and shouldn't be in there anyway?? Will definitely be padlocked both ends of gate,but OH was thinking of also putting barbed wire around top of gate,as that what field next door has (nothing in there,but seem very keen to keep people out!!),and then putting electric tape up further inside field so pony can't actually get to the gate if that makes sense?? I am wondering if this is maybe a bit overkill though and make them more determined??

You are probably right about keeping anything there,but would be handy like you say just to have grooming bits there,will look into some sort of tack box thing.

To add-you should really get a companion, be it on loan from a rescue centre or what not, rather than keeping him on his own :)
Apart from that, you can only try it!

Many thanks for the replies peeps!!

I'm not going to be great for a reply but I'll try my best :)

Firstly, yes, I would give your number to the people across the road from the field and ask them if they see anything suspicious give you a call. Could you put up small signs on the wall saying 'horse bites' or something similar?? Or electric fencing along where the kids will pass(on the horses side, obviously, lol) so your horse can't reach over/they can't reach over to your horse.

As long as your pony has access to higher, dryer ground I don't think there should be a problem. Just keep a check on mudfever etc.

Could you maybe get a small shed like this to put a few stuff in?? It could hold a few essentials.

Something I once saw in a magazine was a rescue center (i think, can't remember details) and they had horses living rugless outdoors 24/7. They put straw down on the floor for the horses to lay on so they could sleep warm and dry, which i'm sure will work for a rugged horse (however, i did try with Ginny, and surprise surprise next morning there was no straw....hmmm, wonder where it all went:rolleyes:)

Good luck, I hope you get the field:)

Yes think am definitely going to go introduce myself to the neighbours,am sure they will be pleased to help as don't suppose they want a load of kids hanging around anyway!!

My OH was thinking this about the electric fence,and like I mentioned in other post maybe doing it so pony can't get as far as the gate,can;t hurt I guess and he is used to electric fencing already so should be ok with it.

I am wondering about a little shed,but might have to wait until been there a while,and got my foot in the door so to speak;)

The straw is a great idea,however I also have a hoover like yours,so don't think it would last long:rolleyes:

my field isnt the best of grazing either, but it is only 5 mins walk away from my house so on the good side, its soo easy just to pop down at any time of the day or night! It too is surrounded by houses and im afraid people do walk up to the gate when u are grooming etc asking questions about silly things lol and i have caught people with huge bags of apples ready to unload on my pony so the gateway is sectioned completely off to avoid this.
i was worried initially about all the traffic as we are right on a bus route, but holly doesnt seem bothered and its nice to see her when you go past on the bus :D
with all the houses, fireworks were also a concern but everyone is really considerate.
at the end of the day, unless money was no object, i wouldnt change my little paddock for a posh livery yard any day of the week!
good luck with your decision x

Thank you so much for that,sounds very similar to my proposed set up in term of location etc,am relieved to hear you don;t have too many problems and that people are considerate:)

I kind of feel the same as you really,it's not ideal in most way's,but the close proximity to my house makes it worthwhile putting up with the rest.

So funny you mentioned it,but firework night was one of the things I was worrying about,was thinking of camping out down there,but doesn't seem to be just one night these day's more like the weeks of the damn things going off!!

Feeding was one of my biggest concerns,have you found that keeping your away from the gate stops that then?? Does anyone still try throwing stuff in??

To add-you should really get a companion, be it on loan from a rescue centre or what not, rather than keeping him on his own :)
Apart from that, you can only try it!

Hmm,I have been thinking about this,and have yet to come to a decision.Technically there is not enough land,paddock is not very big.However my lad has been on restricted grazing on a smaller area for months,so could perhaps have something small and still have enough land.

As much as I normally don't agree with horse being on their own,my lad has been on his own for months now due to the restricted grazing and only other horse at yard being very elderly,so owners prefer to keep on it's own.He has been fine with this,and is actually not the most sociable of horses (only interested in eating:rolleyes:) anyway.
I will probably see how he goes at first,and then think about something small as a companion if he seems distressed.

:D re fireworks, was almost dissapointed that they werent all running around like loonies. i think i spooked them more walking around the field with my little torch trying to find them! Now the only reason i go down firework eve is because they have a better view of them than i do from my house!
The neighbours are great and offer use of their loo! and hot drinks when they feel sorry for me battling with electric fencing in the rain :)
The only prob i had was when of my horses (now gone) decided he much prefered to eat garden shrubs and trimmed his 6 foot bamboo to the height of his fencing!:eek:
apparantly the last horses in the field used to watch the tv through the window!

:D re fireworks, was almost dissapointed that they werent all running around like loonies. i think i spooked them more walking around the field with my little torch trying to find them! Now the only reason i go down firework eve is because they have a better view of them than i do from my house!
The neighbours are great and offer use of their loo! and hot drinks when they feel sorry for me battling with electric fencing in the rain :)
The only prob i had was when of my horses (now gone) decided he much prefered to eat garden shrubs and trimmed his 6 foot bamboo to the height of his fencing!:eek:
apparantly the last horses in the field used to watch the tv through the window!

Lol at the fireworks thing,suppose I may see more down there than from my house!! My lad is not generally easily spooked,but then has not been so close to where fireworks will be up to now.Most people around me seem to set at least a few off,and am just thinking might feak him out a bit.Will have to do the same as you and skulk around the field on the night,like yours though that will probably freak him out more:eek::p

Hot drinks would be a bonus,but will settle just for the use of the loo!!

Lol at the TV watching horse.Wonder if I will go down one day and find my pony hogging some-one's remote control:D

Have been very reassured by your posts,thank you ever so much for posting.Is all quite a worry for me as have only ever been on livery yards or grazing that was very out of the way from others,and had owner living on site.Is weird as although this paddock is on my 'patch' so to speak,feel more un-sure about it than any where else:eek:

As its so close to home I would be tempted to just convert a garden shed into a stable or something alone them lines.....

As its so close to home I would be tempted to just convert a garden shed into a stable or something alone them lines.....

Don't tempt me!! I had mused over this a little bit,in case I ever needed a stable in an emergency,but sadly I don't think it can be done.Access to my back garden is not 'pony' friendly' and think my neighbours would have a fit and lynch me if I stuck a stable on the front garden!!

Is a very good idea though,and will perhaps try and think a little more on access to back garden and whether or not can be 'improved';)

how big is the paddock?
if it is small and wet it may just turn to mush through winter, i would also never keep a horse alone

are there no other livery yards around? or grass livery?

Haven't read all the replies so sorry if I am repeating any advice.

I moved my Horse to a smaller yard so that I could Winter her out rather
than stable for several reasons. It wasn't just the money, it was TIME for
me, with working shifts.

I moved to a Yard with stables ( I say that in the loosest of terms lol) but
it meant she WOULD have shelter if she so wished to use it, have no intention of shutting either of them in.

I moved her to a place where she WOULD be on her own and tbh she
was absolutely FINE, could not have cared less, when Horses rode past
she would NOT take any notice. I have kept Horses on their own thro' the
Years and though not maybe 'Ideal' I can honestly say I have never had
a problem. However, mine isn't alone now because I bought a Shetland
for my Grandaughter.....

Definately speak to the Neighbours, mine are fantastic and often tell
me what my two have been up to in the day:) so I know they are watching
which is to be encouraged;) They also have my home and mobile numbers, just in case.

It IS lovely to see them 'tucked up' in their stables on a Night Time I know,
but really with his breed, same as mine being PB Welsh/Traditional, they
really don't need it and if you can provide a field shelter in the future he
will be absolutely FINE. You say the field has a few 'issues' well so does
mine :) but you can get round them, good rugs, good quality HAY, invest
in some electric fencing and it will all work out, you can always keep your
eye out for a 'better' place in the future. Couple of things I did was a) fence them away from the gate so
that people are not there feeding them all the time. b) Good padlocks are an essential.

I DO have a chat with anyone who stops and asks about them, there is a Public Footpath not far from my field, and I seem to get more stop now I have the two lol, especially as they are both skewbald, people ask me 'did you intentionally buy two that look the same? (um one is shetland and other Traditional/Welsh, lol) but I am always friendly tell them the Horses names etc., BECAUSE I think its someone else
'looking out' for them who feel they 'know them' each time they go past, as most people who stop by me are walkers or dog walkers who I then see quite a bit of, most of them call out a Hello or stop to chat.

I leave some stuff up there, but I have a spare stable that I have turned into a sort of 'tack type room' with padlocks on door, however
one field I used to be at I had no storage so would carry it all in my car and just leave the odd brush up there. It shouldn't be a major problem
for you as you are so near to make up a feed (if needed) at home and carry it along, or bring saddle etc., when you are going to ride....
you are just going to have to find some storage at home, lol, for all the extra stuff. OR.....Lookout for an old Chest Freezer, make sure the
seals are OK and waterproof, get your OH to put some locks on it and leave that in the field to store some stuff in, suprising how much
they take tbh, thats another thing I have done in the past, and that worked beautifully, probably get one at a tip if you speak to them
nicely.

Hope it all works out:)

Last edited:
One other thing- there were two ponies in a field backing onto the estate where i live and i was shocked to find out the local toddler group used to make regular little trips to feed the ponies the left over cakes, bread and biscuits :eek:- maybe stick up a sign saying "do not feed"
I kept my horse somewhere with no storage and it was fine, not ideal but you soon get used to it (you'll be glad of him being close every time you forget his feed etc:rolleyes:)

Also my horse wanted to be stabled 24/7 bit of a sap but circumstances ment he had to move to a field only and he appeared to get used to it ok.
Mud fever was my only real issue as it was impossible to get him off the field and anywhere dry to treat it.
It can work and after all is really the best way to keep horses. much healthier- If i could find a field to rent i would jump at the chance.
good luck x

I did think after my reply about the companion thing and whether that is a possibility, I don't like keeping horses by themselves, could you get a couple something else if you can't have a pony like a couple of sheep...?!!

It was haylage I gave Lily so much worse than hay, the thing to do would be to keep a very close eye on his weight and weight tape regularly and if he is piling it on lessen the amount, in winter they are designed to drop weight and of course too much of a good thing means they don't and can then lead to problems!

I don't think putting a sign up will make you any more liable if people injure themselves on your land, best thing would be to ring your insurance company and ask their advice on that. I think the electric fencing away from the gate is a good idea then he can't reach people over the gate - though would that then encourage people to go in and get closer - such a tricky one!!

how big is the paddock?
if it is small and wet it may just turn to mush through winter, i would also never keep a horse alone

are there no other livery yards around? or grass livery?

Paddock is about I would say an acre,maybe a bit less,maybe a bit more I am useless at judging things like that:eek:
He has been kept on less,and have to say when on his own,paddock did not get poached,he is not a run around tearing up the ground type of pony,and is also not shod which helps.It is most definitely a concern though obviously,but won't know unless I try it I guess??
I also out of choice in the past have not kept horses alone,but as I said he has been kept alone for months now on current livery yard (no other liveries,despite my hinting at them getting one,and he needs restricted grazing so on his own for that anyway),and he has been absolutely fine.In fact have to say I have had far more problems with keeping two together as I always used to,than keeping him alone.Every horse I have ever kept with another has got very distressed when the other was taken away for riding or showing etc,causing them more anxiety it seemed than he has from being kept on his own,maybe there's two way's of looking at it??

There are no other livery yards within 5 miles of me,and certainly none that do grass livery.I live in a very non-horsey area unfortunately.

Haven't read all the replies so sorry if I am repeating any advice.

I moved my Horse to a smaller yard so that I could Winter her out rather
than stable for several reasons. It wasn't just the money, it was TIME for
me, with working shifts.

I moved to a Yard with stables ( I say that in the loosest of terms lol) but
it meant she WOULD have shelter if she so wished to use it, have no intention of shutting either of them in.

I moved her to a place where she WOULD be on her own and tbh she
was absolutely FINE, could not have cared less, when Horses rode past
she would NOT take any notice. I have kept Horses on their own thro' the
Years and though not maybe 'Ideal' I can honestly say I have never had
a problem. However, mine isn't alone now because I bought a Shetland
for my Grandaughter.....

Definately speak to the Neighbours, mine are fantastic and often tell
me what my two have been up to in the day:) so I know they are watching
which is to be encouraged;) They also have my home and mobile numbers, just in case.

It IS lovely to see them 'tucked up' in their stables on a Night Time I know,
but really with his breed, same as mine being PB Welsh/Traditional, they
really don't need it and if you can provide a field shelter in the future he
will be absolutely FINE. You say the field has a few 'issues' well so does
mine :) but you can get round them, good rugs, good quality HAY, invest
in some electric fencing and it will all work out, you can always keep your
eye out for a 'better' place in the future. Couple of things I did was a) fence them away from the gate so
that people are not there feeding them all the time. b) Good padlocks are an essential.

I DO have a chat with anyone who stops and asks about them, there is a Public Footpath not far from my field, and I seem to get more stop now I have the two lol, especially as they are both skewbald, people ask me 'did you intentionally buy two that look the same? (um one is shetland and other Traditional/Welsh, lol) but I am always friendly tell them the Horses names etc., BECAUSE I think its someone else
'looking out' for them who feel they 'know them' each time they go past, as most people who stop by me are walkers or dog walkers who I then see quite a bit of, most of them call out a Hello or stop to chat.

I leave some stuff up there, but I have a spare stable that I have turned into a sort of 'tack type room' with padlocks on door, however
one field I used to be at I had no storage so would carry it all in my car and just leave the odd brush up there. It shouldn't be a major problem
for you as you are so near to make up a feed (if needed) at home and carry it along, or bring saddle etc., when you are going to ride....
you are just going to have to find some storage at home, lol, for all the extra stuff. OR.....Lookout for an old Chest Freezer, make sure the
seals are OK and waterproof, get your OH to put some locks on it and leave that in the field to store some stuff in, suprising how much
they take tbh, thats another thing I have done in the past, and that worked beautifully, probably get one at a tip if you speak to them
nicely.

Hope it all works out:)

Thanks for that hun,and yes I remember your dilemmas at the time of moving.My main reason is the same as yours,the time factor,especially as they insist on him being in every night,so it means two trips up there every day at set times,which I just know is going to cause me a huge issue.The money is a factor,but mainly in the sense I have other things I could do with spending it on right now due to circumstances,rather than I don't have it in the first place if that makes sense??

I do have concerns about the whole being alone thing,but not as bothered about that with this particular pony as have been with others in the past,he has already been alone so have the peace of mind of already knowing he will be fine.Would possibly do the same as you though and get something small if I thought I needed to,but again at the mo as time is a factor could live without a second one to see to if not absolutely necessary.

Will definitely see the neighbours,and think quite a lot of people walk their dogs around where this paddock is as well,so will do like you and try and get chatting to them,can never have too many people keeping an eye out I guess!!

The freezer is a fab idea,I would never have thought of that!!

Do you have any signs up out of interest??

Thanks for all the advice and reassurance,although I know how fab it would be for me,and how much it would help right now,I do have several worries about it,but am starting to feel little better now due to all the replies:)

One other thing- there were two ponies in a field backing onto the estate where i live and i was shocked to find out the local toddler group used to make regular little trips to feed the ponies the left over cakes, bread and biscuits :eek:- maybe stick up a sign saying "do not feed"
I kept my horse somewhere with no storage and it was fine, not ideal but you soon get used to it (you'll be glad of him being close every time you forget his feed etc:rolleyes:)

Also my horse wanted to be stabled 24/7 bit of a sap but circumstances ment he had to move to a field only and he appeared to get used to it ok.
Mud fever was my only real issue as it was impossible to get him off the field and anywhere dry to treat it.
It can work and after all is really the best way to keep horses. much healthier- If i could find a field to rent i would jump at the chance.
good luck x

OMG at the toddler group thing!! Sounds like they were just looking for a cheap activity,cheeky beggars!! Silly thing to do though,and yes think a sign about feeding might definitely be in order,just how to word it so they take notice.Am thinking either something about how he might bite like TTP suggested,but then that wouldn't stop them throwing stuff over to him would it?? Or maybe one stating he has allergies or health issues and is on a special diet?? Would that be better??

The storage thing is going to be an issue,but I will just have to learn to be more organised and make sure I take everything I need that day.At least I only live short walk away though if I forget something,which I inevitably will:eek:

I am worried about him living out as I know he loves his stable,but at the end of the day he *should* be a hardy native type and be fine,and like you said being able to rent your own field is too good opportunity to turn down,and chances like this don't come up often,think I would be a fool to turn it down,especially as so close to my house.Am just being a worry wart due to the type of land and location so near to houses and stuff,and haven't had these kind of worries with anywhere else I've had,is all just a bit out of my comfort zone:eek:

Thanks for the reply hun,it all helps me feel better about it:)

I did think after my reply about the companion thing and whether that is a possibility, I don't like keeping horses by themselves, could you get a couple something else if you can't have a pony like a couple of sheep...?!!

It was haylage I gave Lily so much worse than hay, the thing to do would be to keep a very close eye on his weight and weight tape regularly and if he is piling it on lessen the amount, in winter they are designed to drop weight and of course too much of a good thing means they don't and can then lead to problems!

I don't think putting a sign up will make you any more liable if people injure themselves on your land, best thing would be to ring your insurance company and ask their advice on that. I think the electric fencing away from the gate is a good idea then he can't reach people over the gate - though would that then encourage people to go in and get closer - such a tricky one!!

Don't think could have sheep hun,as I think it's actually quite a performance to buy and keep sheep these day's,lot's of paperwork and things they need doing I think?? Plus I don't know the first thing about keeping sheep lol
Think I will see how he goes,as like I said has been on his own for months anyway,so no different than if I keep him where he is really in that respect.

I will certainly weight tape (I am currently doing it now every two weeks after vet said wanted him to drop 50kg!!).Perhaps I will wait and see how his weight is etc before introducing the hay,rather than just giving it because it's winter kind of thing,does that sound like a plan?? He is a very good doer it's true,and was actually very overweight when I got him last winter (you probably remember what a barrel he was lol),so you could have a good point about the not forgetting about lammi just because it's winter,which I must confess was exactly what I was doing:eek:

I am worried about the sign thing.I am inclined to think the same as you that as they would be coming onto his land that I shouldn't be liable,but know how it is these day's.Perhaps I should put up a private land keep out sign to start with and see if that works?? Will also do a feeding one,but think carefully what to put on that to avoid any blame!!
The fence thing is a tricky one,on one hand want to keep him away from the gate,but then like you said means they actually have to go in to see him.Oh what to do!! Think I will feel better knowing he cannot be hanging over the gate,and maybe it will deter most people from going in there.What about a warning electric fence sign,would that help keep people out?? But then again am worried about being liable,but am sure have seen these up on horse fields??

Am going to have a gateway full of signs at this rate lol,maybe if they have to stand and read loads of signs will give up,will bore them into staying away lol:p:D

havent read all of the replies so may be repeating what others have said. i would put a sign up saying please do not to feed horse, due to medical condition; ask the surrounding people keep watch for you, and give them your phone number..... my paddock is high on one side and very wet on other, with little springs underground; it is fenced into 2 paddocks with the higher ground for winter/ wet weather, and lower for summer and as much of autumn as we can get away with. we are next to a place that has a large fireworks display every year. i always go down to visit the ponies on bonfire night , and they are not fazed by the fireworks at all. just keep them as far out of range as possible, from the houses, and maybe have a word with the house owners to ask them to aim the fireworks away from the area the horse is in. i would also electric fence about a metre in, around the boundaries of the backing gardens so he doesnt eat any poisonous plants, or clippings that may be thrown over, or annoy the neighbors by eating thier prize roses! are there any dogs in the surroundings gardens, which may be able to get into the field? and i would ask the fieldowner whether you could put up a sign to keep people out of the field, and whether he would back you if if you have to tell someone off for being in the field. and i would never ever leave broom, rake, shovel, or ropes or headcollar or hoofpick down there, and dont hide a knife for cutting baling twine, as i know people do; i keep a small piece of roofing slate to cut twine, it works really well, and you dont have to worry about forgetting, or losing it, and it getting in the wrong hands. i hope any or some of this helps

newrider.com