Moving to a livery yard - what will happen ?

WeeBarraxO

May 20, 2008
Glasgow
now its not something I've done before .. but will I need to pay for the livery from now till I get ponio to secure my place at yard, or will I not need to pay until ponio gets there ?

I know all yards are diff, but what is the most common ?

me & OH are going up tomorrow to speak to the lady so will know for deffo tomorrow, but was just wondering what other people have done :)

I took the risk between finding a yard & getting a horse that there would be space. I went up to visit the yard before I had a horse to have a look around so that I when I phoned to confirm I had secured myself a horse they were familiar with who I was.

I can't remember 100% what the procedure was then; probably sign a contract and leave a deposit (either half or full month's rent?) and then ask to make sure YO was there when horse arrived. It just made me feel more comfortable. In fact when Roxy & I moved to our second yard I left it to the YO to lead her to her new turn out field (being a bag of nerves myself, he was much more confident).

When we arrived on our first yard YO's car had broken down so I was there for 2 hours just watching Roxy graze. Probably a good thing as I was in shock that it was all finally real *insert poo pants icon*

It's mostly each yard to their own - but don't be afraid to ask questions. Most will be addressed by the YO when you get there but I was also asking questions to try & get a feel for the yard, i.e. in winter Roxy is not rugged, are there others on the yard of a similar opinion, or are they all over-pampered TBs, am I liable for damage if horsey damages fencing etc (there was a major difference on opinion on this between my two yards). Also, self filling troughs, i.e. or do you have to bring your own tough/bath? Again, a big difference in opinion between my old & new yard on this one.

Last edited:
I would assume that you pay for the stable as soon as you agree to it, if not the yard is within their right to let it to someone else, if they held it empty for free they'd never make any money! :D

I was lucky, I had Henry on lease before I bought him so as soon as all the blooming snow and ice melted I moved him and a stable was free I moved him.

Round, places are easily filled so unless full rates are charged, regardless or not of a horse filling it, then yards will not hold a place. My yard is no exception and I wrote the contracts reflecting that.

Most yards will accept a holding deposit or will ask for nothing untill the horse arrives. I personally would be weary of ones that want the full rent when you have explained it could be a while untill you find a horse.

When the space becomes free at my livery yard, I will be paying half rent until I find a horse (if I don't have one by then!). I am also going to give a deposit next week - not that she has asked for one but I am so desperate for the space I don't want her to give it to anyone else.

depends on the yard! if they have a waiting list, you'll probably have to pay a holding fee or partial rent. if it's grass livery only or if they have tons of empty spaces, they might be happy just waiting.

newrider.com