Moving to a new yard

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I'm thinking of moving Pops because there isn't a school at my current yard and I think we're going to struggle to ride in winter when I am short on time anyway. Also, as she went lame jumping in the field, I'd quite like to have a nice soft surface to school on. The only thing is, she's really settled and happy now - will that change if we move yards, seeing as I will obviously be moving with her and will remain the constant in her life? She's very attached to me. We'd be going to a bigger yard but not ridiculously so. How long has it taken horses of yours to settle again after a move?

if you and your horse have a good bond and you will remain constant in her life plus not a much bigger yard then she will be fine. If you arent happy at yard cos cant ride etc and she is lame from hard ground then best for you both to move I would think. She will feel you happier and be happier too :wink:

I worried moving my mare first time as been there 3 years and happy. We had since got anther horse and they both settled in fine despite my worrying :smile:

I recently moved again after over two and half years and I worried they wouldnt settle but once she realised he was next door she settled and he settled immediately cos horses there in a routine and less coming and going of horses, people and field hopping :biggrin:

I am finding them both easier to ride and he is a field stresser but frm day one here he has been so good in field and she hasnt rodeod on me once :giggle:

Well that's good news - having been rodeo'd once (well twice if you count the time immediately afterwards) I am keen for it never to happen again!

The yard I am thinking of moving too has lots of events which would mean me and Pops could do prelim dressage etc without the stress of having to organise transport, too. I think this could be good for us. Think I'll bite the bullet sooner rather than later then if it does take her a couple of months to settle in, we'll just get it over with!

Good for you! I think it sounds like be a good move for you both and you clearly want to go but are just worried how she will settle in. :wink:

Bite the bullet cos I hummed and haad til things got so bad each time I wanted to go and had nowhere and it was so stressful finding somewhere suitable for my babies :stomp:

Each time I know I did the right thing and they settled fine and this time it is my slice of heaven and people there have commented how well behaved they both are even the rodeo madam :giggle:

Let me know hw you get on as I can sympathise :twins:

If I was you I think I would leave it and perhaps just try and find someone local with a school that you can hire then think about moving next year.

She took a long time to settle at the present place and you have good back up and support where you are. I don't think I would be in any hurry to up set the apple cart.

I don't think that you can predict if she will settle quickly or not. However, I would bite the bullet and just move anyway. If you want to school in winter you really do need an arena to do it - any field will be practically unridable for proper schooling between November and March. Many horse owners just hack at the weekends over winter, and this is fine if that's what you want to do. But if you want more, you need a yard with facilities.

Is she hard to settle then as unsettled before?

Maybe it wasnt the right place for her though??

I agree with Mary Poppins that if you want to ride in the winter then you need facilities and have found ti easier moving and settling horses in the summer when out more and warm so more lethargic although it may upset her seasons so maybe a hormonal supplement would be a good idea in her system before move........

She was very unsettled at first - very VERY unsettled. Wouldn't let anyone catch her, jumped away if anyone tried to pet her, freaked when ridden. It may be that this wasn't the best place for her in the first place, though, and also, she was ill then and she is now fixed! I am not that fussed about hacking so I'd really like a school. I'd stay at my current place if there was a school nearby I could use, but there isn't.

I think if your going to bite the bullet and move ( which sounds a good option for you) I would do it now while were in summer while we have longer evenings etc for you to be with her and spend quality time to assist her to settle/keep an eye on her.

You can sometimes never predict how a horse will be! My old sec D, I moved him and we hacked out on the buckle a few hours later! at another yard he was a nightmare !

Ive been on a yard with no facilites and it can be difficult, I was breaking in my boy to drive at the time so I was more so working out on the roads long reining. I did however box over to a nearby indoor which myself and a fellow livery would rent between us for an hour.

I think if your going to bite the bullet and move ( which sounds a good option for you) I would do it now while were in summer while we have longer evenings etc for you to be with her and spend quality time to assist her to settle/keep an eye on her.

You can sometimes never predict how a horse will be! My old sec D, I moved him and we hacked out on the buckle a few hours later! at another yard he was a nightmare !

Ive been on a yard with no facilites and it can be difficult, I was breaking in my boy to drive at the time so I was more so working out on the roads long reining. I did however box over to a nearby indoor which myself and a fellow livery would rent between us for an hour.

I don't have transport at the mo. I will get a trailer next year but there's no point at the moment as we're not doing shows or sponsored rides or anything like that. I'm hoping we'll both be settled enough to do that kind of thing next year.

I think moving when I had more time to settle them also made a big difference as suggested above :wink:

I moved mine the sat before I was off a week on half term the first move and practically lived there making another livery joke "you can go home you know, they will be fine" :giggle:

Then I moved them this time again on a saturday as hubby does the towing and off weekends and I was off for summer hols from that weekend and again wokred a treat to be there to feed them and keep them in routine used to :happy:

newrider.com