Moving Yard feeding Advice....

missmagnum

Oct 2, 2007
hrrtfordshire, cheshunt
Im currently at a full livery yard were he is on Bran chaff pony nuts and suger beet with next to no grazing.
Im going to be moving yards on thursday to a DIY with a amazing amount of grass but my horse drops weight easily what sort of feed would you suggest for a 16.3 gelding in hard work..
Many thanks
x:)

I hope this reply isn't too late ...

Bran has very little nutritional value and, when fed long term, has been known to rob the bones of calcium. To give a similar effect of poo-binding as bran, I reccommend that you feed chaff instead (as you are already).
A fibre-based diet will encourage weight gain without providing too much fizz as the energy will be released slowly. I love the Dengie Fibre range. They can provide for all horses; young and old, in light to hard work. Alfa-A Oil (http://www.dengie.com/pages/products/fibre-feed/alfa-a-oil.php) is alfalfa and oat straw with soya oil for extra energy. Alternatively Alfa-A (http://www.dengie.com/pages/products/fibre-feed/alfa-a-original.php) provides slightly less energy and may be better suited to your horse. Both release energy steadily so as to encourage plenty of stamina without fizz. Make sure any dietry changes are gradual (over a period of 7-10 days) to minimise any digestive upset as it adapts.

Good luck!

I recently moved yards with my mare, she usually tends to be quite a fatty but she got stressed when she moved and has lost loads of condition. One thing that my RI suggested was that she might be suffering from a bit of hindgut upset caused by a change of diet (she lives out and the grass at the new yard is obviously different) & I should try giving her a probiotic. Funnily enough I had noticed that she was farting less and her poos were smellier after she moved :p Funny the things you notice :rolleyes:

I've been giving her NAF pink powder for about a week and a half, that seems to have helped - her poos aren't exactly fragrant but they are pretty much normal for her now, she's farting in her normal ladylike way and has picked up condition. I'd recommend it in your situation :)

newrider.com