Moving Yards Tomorrow....

Thyme & Me

Nov 23, 2011
...And can't wait :dance:

Really looking forward to being with some old horsey pals who are there already. There's lovely hacking nearby, an indoor and outdoor school, 24/7 turn-out. Really hope Charlie settles in well. And that the weather improves so we can go exploring!

Hope everything goes ok for you today and that the rain holds off, the new place sounds brilliant, especially already having people you know there. Sounds like next summer will be fantasic for you, with good hacking and good friends ... :happy:

Well we are in! He's in a HUUUUGE stable so I'm glad he's living out as that would be hard work to muck out every day. Wormed him this morning and need to keep him in 24 hours. So I'll turn him out with his horsey pals tomorrow morning.

He was bit snorty and uptight for a few minutes in his new stable but soon started happily munching hay. Took him for a short hack to explore which was fun. And will ride out for longer with one of the liveries tomorrow.

Yard seems fine. But yards are good or bad basically depending on the people ime. So fingers crossed everyone is friendly :smile:

glad sounding good for you and 2nd the people thing about yards, we moved yards 8 weeks ago to get better quality turnout for our horse, he had a shared paddock with just one other pony and amazing, well maintained grazing with lots to eat (my boy is not a good doer). new yard £50 per month cheaper, thought he would love it
BUT, he turned into a spooking horse who had lost all his confidence, he was pacing around the gate at about 3pm (convinced he would eat all day!) He didnt seem to get the confidence he needed from the pony he was with, always on his toes and nervous when walking back to his stable if he couldnt see other horses. was becoming more difficult to hack out, always been suitable for a novice to hack. I too was missing the people at the previous yard, realised how much the previous yard meant to me, went back there for a hack and my horse was sooo pleased to be back, he stood and just relaxed when on the yard (apart from calling to the big boys in field).
Anyways ....... we are going back this weekend :biggrin:

Interesting what you say about horses taking confidence from other horses. My last yard was attached to a riding school and the RS horses weren't treated very well. The YO also always had youngsters on the go - who would be backed/lunged fairly intensively at 3 and sold on. Side reins/draw reins and a fairly robust 'get on with it' attitude. I think some of them were resentful and stressed.

I've already noticed how much more chilled the horses at my new place are. They PLAY much more. I know happy, healthy horses play a lot, and I hadn't realised till I saw horses playing how rarely I've seen that recently. I think it'll work out. Really hope so anyway.

newrider.com